chapter XVI || worry

"Mission begins in 10 seconds." The BLU team heard the Administrator announce. "Get ready," the Engineer said, cocking his shotgun.

    "5. . . 4. . . 3. . . 2. . . 1. . . Begin!" Then the sirens went off and the gates opened. The BLU team, ready to shoot and bracing for impact, ran out. They'd expected to be shot upon by the opposing team, but. . . nothing happened. No one was there.

    "Where's the other team?" Scout asked, confused. The rest of the team was just as confused as Scout.

    Spy was leaning against a wall smoking and said, "there is no more RED team." He had an evil smile on his face.

    "What did you do?" Engineer got mad. The BLU team would have no one to fight. Spy shrugged and pushed himself off of the wall. He threw his cigarette onto the ground and chuckled. "All you need to know is that you'll never see them again." He crushed his cigarette with his foot and cloaked, turning invisible.

    All the BLU team heard was echoing laughter from spy as he ran off.

✖️✖️✖️

    The city of Florence was bustling with activity. There were painters, fishers, street markets, and many more. The team was amazed by the beautiful city that they have traveled to. Maybe the time machine was worth it, after all.

    They saw many fountains and statues as well. They soon stumbled upon an inn, which was what they were looking for in the first place. They walked inside and went up to the bartender. The bottom floor of the inn was a pub.

    "Are there any rooms available?" Sniper, since he had the money, asked.

    "Got any money?" The bartender asked as he started to clean the counter off.

    "Yeah," Sniper reached into his vest and pulled out a pouch of the coins he got from Pompeii. He dropped a few coins onto the counter.

    The bartender inspected the coins. "I'm sorry, but I don't know what kind of coins these are. I can't get you a room if you don't have any money." He said.

    The man sitting on a barstool next to the team gasped. "W-what! How and where did you get these coins?! These are ancient artifacts!"

    "I'll buy these coins from you. 5 florins per coin. I own a museum nearby, and these would look good on display," he got up and held his hand out to shake, "deal?"

    Sniper looked at his teammates and asked for their opinion. They nodded, so Sniper shook the man's hand and said, "deal."

    After they made the deal, the man left and said that they should stop by the museum sometimes.

    "So, about those rooms," Sniper said to the bartender, placing some coins on the counter.

    The team couldn't get individual rooms, so they had to share. Four people per room. That's two rooms, and one was bigger than the other.

    The mercs decided who they'd stay with. Engie, Pyro, Medic, and Heavy shared the biggest room. Soldier, Demoman, Scout, and Sniper got the small one. They headed up the stairs to the inn and went to their rooms.

    The mercs didn't really have anything to put up. They never planned on getting stuck back in time, after all.

    "Sollie an' I are headin' down to the pub. Ye wanna join?" Demo asked. It was already dark outside.

    "Sure, why not?" Sniper smiled. He finished putting his weapons down after cleaning off the last one. Then he started to head out with Soldier and Demoman. He stopped when he realized Scout wasn't following.

    "You coming, mate?" Sniper walked up to Scout.

    "No, I'd rather stay here. It's been a long day. I-I should get some rest." Scout said. Sniper noticed something wrong with Scout. Scout sat down on the edge of the bed.

    "What's wrong?" Sniper sat down next to scout. He was worried about him.

    "Nothing. I guess I'm just tired," Scout brushed away the subject, "you should go hang out with the team. Go have some fun."

    "It won't be fun without you there," Sniper said.

    "I doubt the rest of the team thinks that. They'll have as much fun as they want without me there." Scout looked down.

    "Mate, look at me," Sniper said sincerely. Scout looked up. "I'm sure that's not true, but if it is, it's not true for me."

    Scout smiled.

    "I'm worried about you," Sniper said in a worried tone. Scout was happy that he had someone who cared about him and worried about him.

    Scout sighed, "I-I miss being at the base. I don't know if we'll ever get back."

    "Don't worry, I think Engineer will figure something out soon," Sniper said with a smile. He opened his arms for a hug. Scout smiled warmly and hugged him.

    "Thanks, Snipes, you always know how to cheer me up," Scout said.

    "You're welcome, love."

[810 words]

feedback is appreciated!