chapter XXII || advisor

Scout woke up, hearing a familiar voice talking with an unfamiliar one. He recognized the familiar one as Barney.

"The train crashed?" Barney asked. Scout pretended he was asleep so he could listen in on the conversation.

"Yes." The other voice stated.

"Is Gordon and Alyx okay?"

"We don't know if they survived, they were pretty far behind us."

"Who else was on that train?"

The unfamiliar voice listed off the names. "... Amelia, Dave, R—." He got cut off by Barney.

"Dave? Who's Dave?" Barney asked.

"Rio said it was someone they found. Some guy that didn't fit in, he was wearing a red shirt. Said he wasn't from here."

...Red shirt? Isn't from here? Could it be...? No, it can't be him. How would he get here? Scout thought. Barney and the unfamiliar voice left the room, and Scout sat up. If Sniper really was on that train, he could be dead... Scout didn't want to think about that.

Sniper got up, his head hurt. What happened? Sniper thought. He looked around, and Amelia was gone. He felt the blood rushing to his head fast. The train was upside down. Immediately it came to him; the Citadel exploded. "Scout!" Sniper said. Scout was in the Citadel. He immediately unbuckled his seatbelt, causing him to fall to the ground harshly. He grunted in pain.

Sniper sat up, rubbing his head. "I hear something!" He heard a woman say from outside the train. He looked up and saw the door get pried open. A woman and a man walked through. The woman rushed up to Sniper and helped him up. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah." Sniper lied. I think I have a concussion. She helped Sniper up and said with a smile, "my name's Alyx. This is Gordon. I'm sure you've heard of him." Gordon waved with a smile.

"My name's Dave." Sniper smiled. He still wanted to keep a low profile.

"Well, Dave, we should get out of here." Sniper nodded and followed them out of the train. Once outside he could see the Citadel in the distance. It was all broken, not tall anymore. There was some sort of light beam coming out from it, leading up into the cloudy sky. It gave Sniper a weird vibe.

"You're not from here, are you?" Alyx asked. Sniper, too much in shock to actually speak, nodded. Tears were forming in his eyes; Scout was dead.

Alyx sighed. "Was someone you knew in there? That was held prisoner?"

"Y-yeah." Sniper couldn't take his eyes off the Citadel. He's gone, and it's all my fault. I should've gone after him!

Alyx, Gordon, and Sniper stood there for a bit, looking at the barren landscape in front of them. Soon Alyx spoke up, "we should go." Sniper nodded and went with her and Gordon.

Soon the train stopped, and Scout arrived at White Forest. A few medics helped Scout off the train even though he could walk perfectly. They entered the base. There were many people there, some were building things. Scout just then realized he was hungry, so he looked for Barney.

He found Barney by the train, helping the last of the civilians off the train. Once he was done, Barney turned to him and asked, "Hey, how are ya feeling?"

"Better now, thank you," Scout smiled, "do you know where I can get something to eat? I'm starving."

"Yeah, follow me." Barney smiled then started walking. Scout followed him to a food station. They were giving out food.