chapter XIX || impact

Three nights have passed, and Scout just laid there, thinking. He thought mostly of Sniper. What would I do without him? I probably will never see him again.

        The next day, he lost vision in his left eye, just as the masked man said. He was hoping he was wrong, but it turns out he wasn't. Since he lost sight in his left eye, Scout predicted he would eventually lose vision in his right.

    During those lonely days, he didn't see the masked man again, but he did see someone else. She was nice. She brought him food, but he never ate it. She always said she was sorry he was stuck in this cell. She was nice, but Scout didn't take pity. She was just saying it. She didn't actually care. No one cared. If they did, he wouldn't be stuck in this stupid cell.

    He soon lost track of how many days have passed, he just sat there facing the wall, day and night. He didn't talk, not even when the lady came in. She brought him his meals, but they'd just sit there until she came to take his plate. He didn't want to eat, especially the masked man's food. He'd rather starve to death.

    he didn't know how much time had passed until he couldn't see. He was completely blind now, with no one there to help him. That day, he heard the door open, then close. He expected to hear the food tray to be sat down, just as it had day after day. But it never came. The food was never sat down. It wasn't the lady, it was the masked man.

    "What do you want? To torture me now?" Scout asked.

    "I came to tell you that you need to eat your meals, but if that's what you want, that's what you'll get." The masked man said a few things, probably into a walkie-talkie or something, that Scout couldn't make out. He assumed it he was calling his guards.

    "Do what you want, but I'll never tell you anything if that's what you want." Scout hissed as strong arms unchained him and lifted him up. He was too weak to stand by himself. He felt hopeless.

    "Oh, I don't want anything from you." He laughed, then the guards started to drag him away. All he heard from the masked man after that was sarcasm, "oh, and sorry about the eye!"

    The hour or so after that was filled with pain. Scout didn't know what the masked man's guards were doing to him, but it sure as hell hurt.

✖️✖️✖️

    When Scout followed the masked man into that room, Sniper still had a bad feeling in his gut. He definitely did not trust this man at all. He didn't think the team did either, but he did say that he could cure Scout. They might as well let him try.

    An hour has passed, no sign of the masked man or Scout. Sniper was getting impatient. What's taking him so bloody long? The mercs were sitting in the living room of the masked man's house. Another hour passed, then another. It was dark outside by then.

    Sniper got up abruptly, getting slightly pissed off. He began walking up to the door of the room Scout was in. "Stop! You must let him work!" Medic exclaimed.

    "Shut the bloody hell up! Don't tell me what to do!" Sniper yelled, "For all we know, Scout could be dead. He could've been dead for hours now, and we wouldn't know about it!"

    Sniper continued going up to the door. He knocked and said, "Open the bloody door!" No answer.

    "I said, open the door or I'll blow your brains out!" Sniper said more harshly but heard no answer. He walked backward about ten feet from the door and ran, hitting the door. It made a hard impact, but the door did not budge.

    He tried again. But backed up even further and ran even harder. Before he could make an impact, Medic tried to get him to stop. Of course, Sniper didn't listen, and he ended up with a dislocated shoulder. But that wouldn't stop him. Nothing would stop Sniper from trying to try again. He wanted that door broken down. He backed up, got ready, but someone stopped him. It was Heavy.

    "Let me try," Heavy said. He ran at the door, and it cracked. Sniper knew what he had to do now. He went up to Pyro and asked for his ax. Pyro handed the ax to Sniper. He walked up to the door and began hitting it with the ax. After a few hits, the door was in pieces, on the ground. Sniper was breathing heavily, sweating, but smiling. He could finally save Scout.

    As soon as he looked up, his smile was gone. The room was empty. He stared with wide eyes and his mouth open. He walked forward into the room. All the other mercs heard was a clank from the ax dropping, then the sound of Sniper dropping to his knees. He couldn't believe it. They were gone. Sniper started laughing from disbelief. The team got up and peered through the doorway, except for Medic.

    Medic walked up to Sniper and put a hand on his good shoulder. "Mein Freund, I must look at your shoulder. It's dislocated."

    "No." Sniper didn't turn around.

    "What?"

    "This is all your fault!" Sniper turned around and grabbed Medic by the neck and pushed him up against the wall. The other mercs, in shock, didn't do anything. Sniper pulled out a knife and held it up to Medic's neck. "I'm going to fucking kill you, you sick bastard!" Sniper hissed, "you meant for this to happen, and you're going to pay for what you've done!"

    "I-I swear, I didn't mean for this to happen! Now please put the knife away, mein Freund!" Medic pleaded.

    "I am not your friend," Sniper stated. Just then, Medic noticed the big red button next to him on the wall. Not thinking, Medic pressed the button, opening up the portal. Through it, you could see a city, which looked like it's been through a war. In the distance was a huge tower-like building. It went up into the clouds. Sniper looked to the portal, realizing this must've been where Scout and the masked man went. He looked back at Medic and smiled evilly. He slit a small cut on Medic's neck, then headed for the portal.

    The mercs unfroze and tried to go after Sniper, but it was too late. Sniper made it through the portal, and it closed behind him.

[1114 words]

feedback is appreciated!