chapter XII || dreamscape

A few moments later, Scout woke up. He was in a white room and he felt worse than he did before. He sat up. He rubbed his head because it hurt so bad. His shirt was off, showing all of the black streaks rolling down his arm. The black spot had grown bigger. Suddenly, a door opened, but it was never there before. It was Medic.

"W-where am I?" Scout asked.

"You are in the medbay. I had to treat you here, I found out that you have an extremely rare condition." Medic states, but it wasn't like Medic at all. He just seemed... off. There's a medbay here? Scout thought. How come I didn't know? Maybe I'm just tired...

"I need to collect a blood sample. It won't hurt." Medic pulled out a huge syringe.

"Uhh... no, thanks." Scout tried backing away from the gigantic needle, but Medic just got closer. Medic is normally creepy, but he was just flat out scary to the point where he was inhuman. He had a strange smile on his face, his smile stretching farther than it was supposed to. Scout tried to scramble away, but Medic got closer and closer. Scout fell off the hospital bed. He fell off into a sappy liquid. It was blood.

"I need a blood sample." Medic melted away halfway through that sentence, and all that was left of him was a black oozing figure, and his voice changed to something familiar. The voice he heard in his dream. Black liquid, almost like blood, was oozing out of the roof and the top of the walls. The room was filling up quickly with the liquid, and the black figure oozed into the liquid that was puddling on the floor.

The liquid was filling up the room quickly. Scout took a gasp of air before the liquid filled up the entire room. He swam over to the door, but it didn't budge.

It was no use. Scout was going to drown, and he knew there was nothing he could do about it. He felt his vision slowly fading away...

He suddenly could breathe. He opened his eyes, and there was a woman in a red dress with black hair standing above him. "Are you alright?" She asked with a British accent.

Scout nodded. His heart was pounding. Was this another dream?

"We need to get out of here before you get stuck here forever. If you die here, you die in reality." The lady said quickly, then helped Scout up.

"Am I dreaming?" Scout asked, still confused.

The lady just looked at him for a moment, then nodded.

The sky above them started to light up, and they could see the sun. They were in a city that was slightly broken down.

"This is your Dreamscape, it's also called the Mindscape. Yours is being infected by a virus. The landscape is constantly changing. I can't say much else, and I can't stay here for much longer," the lady said, "and one last thing, this entity will try to trick you into thinking that things are real. Don't trust anyone!"

"But I have so many questions! Who is doing this? Or what is doing this? Why is it infecting me? Who—"Scout tried questioning the lady, but she disappeared into a cloud of dust.

"...are you...?" Scout finished the last question. He had no idea what to do next.

A moment passed.

The smoke was gone. And Scout looked up to find—

...Sniper...?

"Snipes! Man, I'm so glad to see you!" Scout started running towards Sniper but was halted by Sniper pulling out a pistol with a blank expression on his face.

"Snipes...?" Scout had tears welling in his eyes. Why would Sniper ever do something like this? He crept towards Sniper with his hands out for defense. "Why are you doing this?"

Once Scout got close enough, he lowered Sniper's pistol and took it from him. Then Sniper swung his arm up into the air and punched Scout in the face. He hit the ground with a hard thud. Scout felt his face. He was bleeding.

"You're worthless." Sniper smirked.

"Sniper, please!" Scout shouted as he scrambled to his feet. He noticed that Sniper took out his kukri. But... he sold his kukri! This Sniper is just that entity trying to trick me! Scout thought. He pulled out the gun he had stole from Sniper and shot the Sniper square in the forehead.

"That'll teach you." Scout chuckled to himself. "Now I have to find a way out of here."

Scout looked around. He needed to find supplies for his face. He had a cut in his cheek, and his nose was bleeding. His elbow was also scraped from the concrete he fell on. The pain in his left arm was intense.  It seemed like his arm was going to give out any second.  He needed  Medic, the real Medic. No! He didn't want anyone to find out about his arm.

Scout quickly scanned the multiple buildings and towers, all abandoned and overgrown with ivy and moss. There were cracks in many of them. He noticed a Walgreens sign above one of the stores. Jackpot!

He limped over to the store; it wasn't far away. Once inside, he flipped the lights on. They were somehow still working. He found a backpack to store his stuff, a bottle of ibuprofen, some medical tape and wrap, and other medical things.

Scout stored all of the stuff in his bag. He also made sure to grab his favorite energy drink, Bonk, then slung the bag over his shoulders. He left the store and found a rock to sit on to apply his medical wrap. He first rubbed an alcohol pad on all his wounds that needed to be covered, then wrapped his arm, which was covered by the black spot down to the elbow. He wrapped his elbow that he fell on, and rubbed an alcohol pad on his cheek.

He needed to find a car that was drivable. He made it to a gas station first, and filled up an old gas can with gas. He grabbed some snacks and water bottles from the store, which surprisingly wasn't rotten.

Luckily, Scout noticed a heavy-duty truck nearby. This was his Dreamscape, he was going to get good food and cars. He poured gas into the truck and hopped in. He didn't know where he was headed. He didn't have a plan, except he knew that whatever he was doing, he needed food and drinks. That's why he got snacks and water earlier.

He turned the key in the car to start it and drove onto the road. He didn't know where he was going, but he needed to get somewhere.

[1131 words]

feedback is appreciated!