152: I Know When I've Had Enough

Adi buried her face in her hands, not wanting everyone to see how much she was blushing now. She didn't want anyone to see her at all, but here she was lying on the floor in full view of all her friends and family. Garfield had just sais something he thought was funny, and beside him Laura was trying not to laugh. Adi didn't care anymore, she didn't want anyone to see her being such a baby.

She still couldn't believe that she'd just pooped her pants in front of everyone. She'd felt a little pressure in her tummy, and just let it go without even realising what it meant. How could she have got that wrapped up in her game? How could she not have noticed? And she couldn't even remember anyone telling her to do it, so this wasn't someone being unusually cruel to her. This was her getting carried away, there was no other explanation.

She ignored everyone talking at once, and ran to the door. She could feel the mess in her diaper squishing against her butt as she took every step, and the reminder of just how helpless she was became the last straw. Adi started to wail, tears streaming down her face as she fumbled with the door and fled back to her own room.

No, she told herself. She couldn't just get carried away like that. Things like that didn't just happen. Maybe it was something that she'd eaten. She'd heard stories before where some student had a pill that made someone have an accident, in among a whole host of other student-prank horror stories. Would one of her friends have done that? No, of course they wouldn't. She was sure of that much. Even Garfield, a jerk and a bully, wouldn't do something that mean. Not when he knew how much trouble he'd get into. And she couldn't imagine that any kind of drugs would stop her from realising what was happening.

She leaned against the doorframe and took a deep breath. She needed to think straight. She wasn't having fun anymore, and the party was almost turning into the nightmare she'd dreaded. Her mood had been up and down all day, but now a little push with one set of muscles had sent her over a cliff from which there was surely no climbing back. This was going to be hell, and she knew she'd never want any of those people to see her again.

"Adi?" Toni's voice drifted in from the hallway. "Baby? Are you okay?"

"Not a baby!" Adi yelled back, still mumbling as her tongue tripped over the words. She was so upset now, humiliated and angry even if she didn't know why. She didn't know if this was another part of the hypnosis, some side effect that came from using it too much in one day, or if one of her friends had given her a new suggestion without her realising. But she knew that it wasn't her fault, and she couldn't face anyone until she'd at least cleaned herself up.

All the emotion came out in a couple of words. Not as well thought out as the witty ripostes she'd normally try to remember, but she needed to be sure that Toni wouldn't misunderstand her. "Go away!"

"Come on, Babe," Toni called back, right outside the door now. Adi leaned against the door, trying to choke back her tears, and stared at the lock as she tried to work out which way to turn it. She didn't want to play this game any more, she wanted to be a grown-up who could choose when she needed the potty, but she didn't know how to make herself think again.

"Leave me alone!" Adi called back, and fumbled with the lock. It clicked, and she hoped she'd got it right. Now she was really trying, she could get a few of her thoughts back. Some time, that felt like months ago, Toni had come up with the idea of wearing childish clothes, so she would have a clear end to her childish playtime, rather than all the special words wearing off slowly over a few hours. That was the key, she was sure. If she took off the baby clothes, she'd be able to think like a grown-up again, and then she could work out how to get away from here. She didn't care about upsetting people anymore; now she was so ashamed that all she cared about was not being a baby again. She needed to get away from whoever had done this to her.

It took her both hands and nearly a minute to unfasten one of her buttons. It seemed like the more she thought about it, the harder it got to move her fingers properly. But she wasn't a baby, she was a big girl really, and she kept on trying. She'd just about managed to get the second button unfastened, and then struggled out of her cute little overalls, when she heard knocking at the door again.

"I'm sorry, Bab. Did we do something wrong?" The door handle rattled, but didn't move. Adi had managed to lock the door, at least. When Toni sounded worried like that, it seemed to make a world of difference. Adi wanted to hug her and say everything was going to be alright. But the humiliation and anger was still burning in her heart, and she couldn't help pushing her closest friend away again. She called back something that might have been "Go away!" through the tears, and struggled to pull off the horrible cute T-shirt that had made her be a baby.

It was getting easier to calm down now, and she almost stopped crying. When she looked at the shirt, thrown down on her bed, she could see that it was just a super-cute piece of clothing. It was Adi who'd put it on; Adi had eavesdropped on her friends, heard her name, and put the shirt on without thinking. Toni had even asked her if she'd heard her name, guessing at what might have happened, but Adi's pride had made her deny it. All of this, from the embarrassingly adorable outfit to the presents she'd somehow enjoyed so much, was her own fault. And that made her feel angrier than ever.

For now, she focused on her shame at messing her diaper. The one thing that she was sure hadn't been her own doing, and one thing she could be legitimately angry about.

The door handle rattled again, and Adi turned to face it, wearing only a stinking diaper. She wasn't quite feeling like a grown-up yet, and her fingers still wouldn't obey her, but she could at least think about all the things she needed to say.