Chapter Twenty-Eight

15 October, 1345.
Stormhold Castle,
The walled city of Rothwell,
Capital of Myknos.

Prince Nicolas Alexander Tutton

"Took you long enough." He mused, "Now let's move. My sister's guards will be upon us soon."

"Yes. Lets." He said hurriedly, suddenly eager to get out of this cell before that became a reality.

He tried to stand but staggered back to the floor groaning at the pain and cursing at his weakness. He hadn't used his legs in so long and his muscles protested as he tried to stand again. His vision doubled and he had to fight the urge to vomit.

What Khasi had been giving him, he wondered because even when he had been down with the fever, he had never felt this helpless. His joint creaked as he moved, his head spun and he had this odd feeling in his chest like someone was squeezing his lungs.

Khalid rushed at him and caught him before he landed on the floor, cursing all the while. He help Nicolas to the ground as gently as he could then handed him the wine skin to drink from.

He took it and drank till he felt a slight buzz. The spinning feeling in his head left and his chest felt slightly lighter. He was sure it wasn't just wine that was in that skin but now wouldn't be a good time to ask.

He handed the skin back to Khalid who looked him over then threw a black cloak on.

"Put this on. We need to blend in if we hope to get out of here alive." He said, "Can you walk?"

"Yeah. I think I can." He tried to stand but this time Khalid assisted him.

His legs still felt wobbly but he managed to stand without tripping over.

"Here. I hope you still know how to use this." Khalid said handing him a sword.

He nodded and then they were out, stepping further down into the dungeons. The gate was the other way and he made his observation known but Khalid quelled his worries.

"We're meeting some friends here. You didn't think I came alone did you?"

He spared a small laugh which helped to ease the looming darkness around them. A sinister feeling had settled on him as they went deeper into the dungeons.

These parts hadn't been visited since the time of the Great War. The cold shroud of death hung over these parts causing a shiver to roll down his spine but Khalid seemed oblivious to this. He went on with steps as silent as a mouses but still ignorant of the fear the walls radiated.

A sudden gust of cold air on his face made him aware of the small tunnels that lined this room. They stretched out in all directions confusing him but Khalid walked forward into the first tunnel ignoring all the others. The man obviously knew his castle more than he did.

He just walked blindly onward wincing as his stiff joints stretched with each movement.

The gust of cold wind got fiercer with each step they took down the dark tunnel leaving him to wonder where it ended. Deciding to let the man lead him in peace, he trudged on, readying himself in the event that the circumstances before them were less than pleasant.

As if hearing his thoughts, the smaller tower bells began to ring, signalling that there was an intruder in the castle. His heart began to beat a wild rhythm as he knew what capture meant for either of them but Khalid, ever prepared, increased his pace.

"That's our signal. Move faster man." He said breaking into a slight run, his steps echoing loudly.

He increased his pace and even though his vision doubled, he pushed on. Khalid drew his large curved sword and took a sharp left turn. The corridor, dark and unlit, stretched on with a small gate at its end.

"Shit where are they?" He complained, "Come on man."

The walked forward with quiet steps down the large corridor and waited a few steps from the gate.

"Japheth! Havilah!" Khalid said in a low whisper.

"Gomer!" He shouted slightly this time.

They waited with bated breaths and for a moment it looked like they had come this far for nothing. Just as their moods had dampened a great deal, a rattling sound came from the gate.

"Sheikh is that you?" A voice asked in the Shivish tongue.

"Open the gates. We have no time to lose." Khalid commanded, "Where are Japheth and Havilah?"

"They were interrupted at the main gates but the other prisoners are loose."

"Good. But where's the princess? Did Hanan find her?"

At the mention of his sister, his heart skipped a beat.

The last he saw of her was...he could recall. His head was all foggy but one image that surfaced shamed him.

Alyn was never one to hate, even when she had heard of their uncles betrayal, she had refused to speak one bad word about him but the look she had given him when he had had Odeya arrested chilled him the bone.

"You're the worst kind of human being." He remembered her say, "I used to make excuses for your behaviour but I see now. You're not the brother I used to know. To think she fell for someone as bitter as you."

'He knew she didn't mean that. His sister loved him too much to mean that right?'

He had been asking himself that question since the arrest. Even when the execution day arrived, he had looked at her hoping that she didn't mean what she had said but only a blank look graced her delicate features.

Khalid's arm pulling him forward distracted him from the depressing thoughts that had filled his mind.

"Come on." The man said softly as if sensing his dour mood.

The gates opened into the courtyard and for the first time since his capture, he breathed easy.

The air in the dungeons was dank with the smell of piss, blood and death hanging over the place like a shroud.

He made a mental note to amend the terrible state the dungeons were in if he were ever to get his kingdom back.

They looked all around them in caution and stayed hidden in the shadows. Although the bells rang violently, the courtyard was deserted but a strong presence filled the place like the world was holding its breath. Even the wind seemed to sense this great force and it seized.

"Where is..."

An arrow came flying out of nowhere and embedded itself in Gomer's throat. They barely had time to run before a few more flew in their direction.

He pushed Khalid in the direction of they gate they had just come through but before he could enter, an arrow sank into his shoulder.

He cried out and stumbled but Khalid pulled him inside before another could make its mark.

He was on the floor, blinded with pain but he could hear Khalid ruffling through his bag. A moment later, he felt a blinding pain and he weighed then a short while later it dulled.

His body sank from exhaustion but Khalid wouldn't let him rest; he pulled him to his feet and turned to face the corridor from which they had emerhed.

"Come on." He said, attempting to pull Nicolas in the opposite direction but stopped once guards trooped in from both sides.

They stopped in their tracks as Khasi emerged donning a lavish cloak and his father's crown.

"My my my. What do we have here?" She said with a laugh, "Two would be kings clinging onto each other for dear life. Why if I didn't know you better Khalid I'd be shocked."

Another chapter done.

Sorry for the late update.

I hope you enjoyed it though.

Please click that star and comment on this work. I'll love to hear from you.

Ciao!