Chapter Six

August 1, 1345.
Stormhold Castle,
The walled city of Rothwell,
Capital of Myknos.

Lady Odeya Katarina Black

"Don't you have anything better to do!" She yelled, at the people staring at her in the kitchen.

The noise came at once as they all started to gossip and she didn't need to ask to know what it was about.

Damn him!

She hated him for embarassing her in front all the servants in the kitchens and she hated herself more for responding as she did when he had blown air on her ear.

She had chased him down to give him a piece of her mind but she had gotten distracted by the mischief that lit up his cobalt blue eyes and his ruffled chocolate locks. It looked so soft that it made her want to run her hands through it.

She hated how he had turned her legs to jelly and sent heat pooling in her nether regions. He had almost sent her over the edge just by pressing her against the wall and even now she felt herself getting hot. She finally understood what the newly wedded maids felt when they talked about their night time activities.

'Stop it Odeya! Don't let him distract you.' Her subconscious scolded.

They continued staring at her and it made her feel like thousands of beetles were crawling on her body. She told Madam Elma that she needed a break and the older woman permitted it.

She went to the royal garden and sat, enjoying the feeling of the cool breeze on her face. The air was alive with lights from many fireflies and the scent of rain, that lingered in the air, took away the stress and anger she had been feeling.
The flapping of wings alerted her and she saw a rook land on the stone bench with a pouch on its leg. She went closer to the bird, the feeling of dread creeping up her spine slowly with each step she took. She opened the pouch and the small parchment held two words that sent chills running through her body.

I'm dissapointed.

He knew. But how? He told her that he didn't have anyone stationed in the castle. She turned over the parchment and wrote a reply to the man that called himself her father then she stained her finger with blood from the glass she always kept inside her shoe and brought it close to the rook. It seemed to recognize the scent and took off.

Her words were short and she could only hope he wouldn't take out his anger on her mother.

"Stay strong mother. I will come for you soon." She whispered under her breath.

She walked back to the kitchen for her supper then she retired imediately after, working on their plan in her head. She slept with thoughts of her good times with her mother and Zara.

Dont fail me or your mother will pay the price.

She woke up with a start and groaned when she saw that the sun was beginning to rise over the clouds. She was late and they would punish her by sending her to the laundry. Again.

She got up from her small bed, washed her face and wore her uniform then tucked her hair into the small woolen coif that accompanied the dress. She joined the maids in the courtyard, just infront of their keep, to await her assignment. The wait was long and she hoped dearly that she wouldn't be sent to the laundry again. Her arms still ached from the last time.

"Alicia!" The warden called finally, "It seems you are in luck with the royals. Princess Alyn has asked you to attend her today so if I were you I'd hurry up."

The snooty woman couldn't kill the joy that had flooded through her. Everyone knew that Princess Alyn gave breaks and she wasn't as bothersome as the other Ladies in Stormhold. They were even more annoying as they took out their frustrations of not catching a rich husband or the Prince, as they had hoped, on the innocent servants. Odeya rushed off to the Princess' chamber and straightened her dress before knocking.