Twenty-Two

I stood in front of the bathroom mirror staring into my own eyes. I don't know why I was nervous, I mean it's not like I haven't heard my own voice before... Now is different though. I haven't spoken more than a five-word sentence in years, and I'm sure that's taken a toll on my vocals.

Sebastian and I had decided our date would be on New Years, seven days from then. That number is now a four.

 I had given my counsellers advice a thought, maybe I should practice my speech... then I could surprise him by talking the way he had surprised me by signing on our first date.

To say the least, I was scared. Scared that he would find my voice unattractive or creepy,  I myself didn't even know how it sounded, and that's why I was here, because hopefully, I could fix it some before our date.

I slid my finger down the scar on my cheek. Before croaking out a hello. I sounded like I had been smoking since my adolescence. I cringed and cleared my throat, trying again, this time with a full sentence.

"...Hey Sebas...tian... How a..re you?" I pushed out, stammering over my words. I sounded horrible. I had never noticed how bad it was before when I had talked because it was usually one or two worded phrases.

I knew I had my work cut out for me.

I left the bathroom and went back into my room to put on my shoes, lacing them up and laying back, waiting for Sebastian to tell me he was here. I tapped my bracelet and smiled when I felt him tap back.

When he finally showed up I sat down in the passenger seat, getting surprised when I heard Kacees voice come from the backseat.

"Hey Nugget!" I jumped a bit, not expecting her to be here and turned around to wave. Apparently, she missed her bus.

We made it to school and breezed through our English class where we just studied for a test coming up. The bell rang and Sebastian, Kacee and I went to Kacees locker.

"Why do you even leave all your stuff in here anyway?" Sebastian asked as he leaned back on the metal locker next to hers, lightly tapping the palm of his hand on the door to hers, holding the door.

"I'm too lazy to carry all of it around, shouldn't you know that by now?" She laughed, grabbing two notebooks and shutting the door, making a loud clanging noise.

"Alright, I'll see you guys later then," Sebastian said chuckling, pushing himself off of the lockers. His next class was in the opposite way from ours. He walked backwards three steps and then turned around and walked around the corner.

"Shall we go then?" Kacee asked and I nodded. We started our casual walk through the hallway, she was talking about how she was in extreme need of a boyfriend.

"So will you help me scout them?" She asked, she was hoping that I would be her helper, I would help her find cute guys and Sebastian would help introduce them to her since he was a football player and according to her, that would make him good at 'bro talking'.

I laughed at her little game plan and went to type an answer when I heard a yell.

"Hey!" We both turned our heads to see what it was. "Hey Mute!" Mitch yelled, he and his goonies speed walking toward us. He had a look of anger on his face, but then again it seemed like he always did. I took a sharp intake of air, turning around and beckoning Kacee to keep walking.

"Don't ignore me!"

I kept walking and didn't turn back until I heard their footsteps behind us. I turned my head to see them right behind us, Mitch reaching his arm out to my shoulder. I made an abrupt 'mmm' noise of surprise and quickly decided what to do.