Eleven

The sun shone through my bedroom window causing my wonderful sleep to be interrupted. I got out of my extremely comfortable bed and dressed in a faded T-shirt and some old ripped sweats, making my way downstairs to see my brother sprawled out on the couch in his pyjamas watching the new season of American Vandal. He must be off today.

"Morning lil' bro," He said, sloppily throwing his hands into his hair and running through the mess of brown.

I signed good morning back and opened a Snapchat message from Sebastian, it was a selfie he took of himself in his football jersey, the bright sun beaming behind him. He was smiling and the little caption reading, 'morning, time to work!'

I snapped a picture of Darryn in his weird position on the couch and captioned it 'lol, work hard! Good luck!' and then I sent it to him

I shut off my phone and sat it on my lap, looking back at the Tv where Peter and Sam were trying to figure out who was doing the vandalism. We were halfway into episode four when my phone buzzed again. I figured it was Sebastian responding to me but Josh's name came up instead.

I slid open his message and read it in my head. He was asking if it was ok if he came over to my house. Usually, he doesn't just outright ask to come over but I brushed it off as something that wasn't too weird. I told him I didn't care and he could come down if he wanted to, then I told Darryn he was coming over, and I unlocked my front door so he could just come in on his own and went upstairs to change into something more presentable.

I put on a pair of my jeans and a maroon hoodie flinging myself onto my bed and closing my eyes, humming out the tune to you grew up by Oddisee. I kept humming until I heard my door open, I cracked my eye open and saw Josh entering my room.

"Hey T," He said quietly, sitting on my rolly chair and staring at his shoes. He was acting differently than usual.

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

He started spinning around in the chair and spoke once more "Yeah, yeah, I just needed some time away from my mom and dad..."

"Why?"

"Yknow, normal annoying parent stuff"

"Oh"

"So how's your weekend going?" He stopped spinning, turning to face me.

"Fine, how's yours?"

"Eh, it could be better, I'm just stressed y'know?" He mumbled looking down to the floor.

"Yeah I know exactly how you feel, you go around life for a while and you realize that most of it sucks... I felt like that for a while... Still, do, sorry that probably doesn't help your situation" My text to speech trailed off... wow, I'm not very good with advice.

"Yeah..." I could tell he was filled with conflicted emotions as if he was drifting away from his boat, stranded.

"In my experience life is just bad sometimes, you go through your highs and lows and sometimes the lows are longer than the highs"

Josh stood out of his chair with a sudden burst of anger holding his arms outwards from his sides, "Talon, you're not the only one with fucking problems! The rest of us have them too okay? Maybe if you spent less time thinking about yourself then you would fucking notice!" He yelled loudly at me pulling at his hair.

I stared at him bewildered and confused, unable to think of a response. He bent down and grabbed his back and jacket headed to my door.

"Wait, Josh-" My text to speak began but was cut off by him harshly pushing my door shut. I heard the front door slam closed soon after. I sat there on my bed speechless feeling the tears well up in my eyes. Maybe this was just one of those normal stupid fights that friends go through and resolve in a day...