Chapter 10

Juliette

I had no idea what I was going to do. I didn't want to go back home and face Daemon. He lied to my face without thinking twice about it. I don't care if it's because he wants to protect me, this is my life too.

What would happen if I ran away? I have no idea where I would go, but all I know is I would be free. There wouldn't be anyone to make decisions for me, or choose whether or not I can or can not do something. My actions would be strictly me, and the consequences, good or bad, would be because of me.

I sat feeling empowered by the thought of being in control of my life until I was shot down by reality. This isn't my life; it's selfish of me to even think about such a thought. I sound naïve talking about making my own decisions.

I slumped back in my chair, and continued to sip my milkshake. I could just sleep out in the forest tonight, but if anyone were to find remnants of the dead men I'd look extremely suspicious camped out in the middle of the woods.

I spent time carelessly debating with myself until I heard a man say, "Megan." It took me a few seconds to remember I was Megan. I whipped my head around and there Adonis stood. His perfect dark hair was tossed around and sweat clung to his forehead. He was wearing a white shirt that exposed his arm muscles in ways I hadn't been able to admire before.

Before being able to think I started speed walking to the back door. I exited into the cool night and started running. "Stop!" Adonis yelled, "You can't outrun me!"

Little did he know I actually could, but I was in no mood to reveal my true identity at the moment. I could hear Adonis running after me, and I knew I had only seconds to think of something. I ran towards the darkest part of the street and stopped. Sure enough Adonis was right behind me.

He unexpectedly grabbed my waist and whipped me around to face him. "Why did you run from me? I was worried about you!" I could hear the anger in his voice. This isn't the guy I met at school today; this was a stranger with massive anger issues.

"What's your problem?" I yelled as I tried to throw his hands off of me. He was much stronger than I had intended. Having a body and strength like that must mean he had a high position in his pack.

He grabbed my flailing arms and pinned them to my side completely ignoring my question. "What happened to you? Are you hurt? Did someone hurt you Megan?!"

"I'm fine Adonis! Can you please give me some personal space though? I don't even know you and you think it's okay to chase me down the street and hold me against my will!"

My words seemed to hurt him on a personal level. That's when my insensitive ass remembered what Daemon said- Adonis was my mate... or so he thought. Now that I think about it he only thought he was my mate from what I told him. I didn't know anything for sure. He was sure acting like I was his mate, but why didn't I feel anything?

When I first saw him my wolf wanted to be with him. It must have been a temporary thing, because I no longer have that feeling and she isn't begging me to get close to him anymore.

All I know for sure is that if Adonis is really my mate then he needed to be dealt with. If he interfered with my protection spell then I was toast. Burnt toast with a low chance of survival.

He slowly let go of me, but didn't bother to move away, "How did you know I was here?" I asked changing the subject.

"Just a feeling," he responded in a much softer voice. I could still feel his eyes staring at me.

I never made complete eye contact with him in fear he might see my real eyes. Although we were in a darker part of the street I didn't want to take chances by looking at him.