Chapter 3

Juliette

We drove the first few hours in complete silence. I sat thinking about my new life and this stranger that now played a large role in it.

My eyes shifted over to him as I tried to tap into his mind. He had taken off his dress jacket and now wore a white polo long sleeve. His eyes were a dark blue that looked like they had something to say.

"Don't do that with me. Understand?" He said throwing me off guard.

"Do what?" I ask trying to act clueless.

"Tap into my mind, princess. You know exactly what you're doing."

I refused to respond. I didn't know what to say and him accusing me of this pissed me off... even though he was right.

"You're not going to make a snarky comment back? Surprising."

"I don't like you calling me that," I said in a matter of fact tone. "How did you know I was tapping in?"

"Do you really think your brother would leave you with an idiot?" He chuckled softly. "You still have a lot to learn."

I looked back at him again. Not many people are aware when I tap into their minds. Even my brothers don't always realize it.

I didn't have a chance to admire his sharp features before. He looked only a few years older than me and was attractive for such a rude person.

"Okay now you're just staring at me," the stranger said as I flicked my eyes back to the road. I can hear him smirking through his voice.

"No, I'm not," I responded defensively and quite embarrassed. "I was just wondering what your name was."

"Yeah sure you were... but my name is Daemon."

I nodded. It makes it a little easier now that I have name for "the stranger".

"My name is..."

"Juliette Selene Artemis," Daemon responded interrupting me. "You are first of your name and said to be the vasílissa of all wolves. Your parents and sisters died when you were very young and your brothers have taken the parenting role since. You are said to be a hybrid of a wolf and a witch, and harness the powers of the moon..."

A little stunned that he knew all this I replied, "Well I am 'said' to be a lot of things. I don't think I am any vasílissa and I definitely don't harbor the powers of the moon, but you got everything else right."

Someone's been doing their research, my wolf says to me. Ever since we left my wolf has been silent. Even though it wasn't my fault we left she was refusing to talk to me.

Glad you decided to talk now, I told her with annoyance in my tone. I hate when you ignore me.

Yeah I know, that's why I do it. I was hoping you'd turn around, she tells me honestly.

I'm not anymore excited than you are. You know that.

"Are you hungry?" Daemon asks out of nowhere.

"Maybe a little," I tell him. I normally have a major appetite, but I haven't been hungry since we left.

We pull into a Wendy's drive thru. I'm a little surprised since Daemon looks like the type of person to not even get near fast food.

"What do you want?"

"A bacon cheeseburger, a chicken tender meal, and a large fry," I smile and flutter my eyelashes at him. "Please and thank you!"

He places his order and we immediately pull up to the window. An older woman hands us our food and we park in an empty space.

"I never asked, why are you dressed like you're on your way to a fancy dinner or something?" I said while shoving the burger in my mouth.

"I had business to deal with before I picked you up," he responded very nonchalant. "It was a formal occasion."

I nod my head in response refusing to take a break from my food.

"So how far are we?" I asked after finishing. To be honest I have no idea idea where we are or where we are headed.

"Maybe an hour? Not too far," he responded while still chewing his burger.

"Where are we going to live?"

Boy that sounded really weird.

"Lost Hills, Washington."

My heart sunk. "There is literally the largest number of werewolf tribes surrounding that town than anywhere else in the world! I can't disguise myself from thousands of werewolves! What if they were to figure who I am?"

"You actually can, but your brothers and I picked that town for a reason. In a town that is densely populated with werewolf packs it's very rare that a rouge would be living there. Rouges help the hunters in return for money and your smell is much stronger to them since they have no tie to a pack. If you were to accidentally lose control of the protection spell your smell would be confused with other werewolves and not be as easily distinguishable for them. Living in this town ensures distance from rouges and safety."

As much as I hate to admit it he has a point. "But what about the other werewolves in packs? What if they take me for a rouge since I no longer belong to a pack, or what if they think I am the vasílissa."

"They won't unless you're near a pack border without a protection spell. Anyways we could run again or you could convince them otherwise. The choice is yours," he shrugs. "I know you don't know me yet but I will protect you with everything I have, I promise."

And for some weird reason I believe him.

🌕🌖🌓🌒🌑🌘🌗🌔🌕🌖🌓🌒🌑🌘🌗

Hey guys! What do you think of this chapter? I'm excited for you to meet the new characters 😈

Why do you think Daemon is risking everything to protect Julie?

Do you think that living in a town like Lost Hills is a good thing or bad thing for Julie?

Thanks guys for reading! Comment any suggestions you might have! I would appreciate it more than you know❤️

Much love! Hope you're enjoying :)