Chapter 19

Juliette

I drove down the long roads of Lost Hills that I was just starting to know. I knew I was never going to stay forever, but leaving just didn't feel right.

I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck spike up. When I finally got to the stop sign I put my new necklace around my neck. It made me feel so much closer to my family even though it's just a piece of silver.

I turned the corner where Adonis and I first talked. I know I've been bitter towards him, but maybe in another life things could've been different.

I drove through the little town admiring each shop one last time. The lights in every shop were out, but it didn't matter. I knew what they looked like.

I drove about 30 minutes until I was completely out of the residential part of town. I turned on the radio listening to some 80's throwbacks.

The Witch Hallows was located in northern Minnesota. According to the directions, it should take about 27 hours to get there if I drove the whole time... which wasn't going to happen.

The forest that outlined the roads seemed darker than normal. If my wolf hadn't been so aware I might not have caught it. I was driving the long way to avoid pack territories but I knew there was someone following. Werewolves might be fast but they couldn't keep up with my car forever.

I swear if I didn't know better I would say there were multiple werewolves. Call me paranoid, but I reached into my bag for my concealer. I sloppily put in on just in case and shoved the brown contacts into my eyes.

I drove the winding roads avoiding pack territories. I knew I was still being followed, but I hoped when I got out of Lost Hills it would change. I knew that outside the town there were big vampire dens. I've never minded vampires, but most werewolves have huge grudges against them and vise versa.

I wish that my instincts would've been wrong. I swear I looked down for just a minute. I was trying to turn down the music but couldn't find the sound dial. By the time I looked back up there was someone in the middle of the road. I slammed on my breaks. We were both lucky for my quick reaction because I didn't hit him.

I backed up and tried to steer around him to keep driving. Yes I know how bad that sounds, but he was a werwolf and I didn't even hit him! I had no time to stop and make small talk.

Before I sped up another man came out of the bushes and tapped on the hood of my car signaling for me to stop. I slammed on my breaks for the second time. Looks like I wasn't too paranoid.

I unrolled my window slightly, "Sorry about that! I didn't see you!"

They were much nicer than I was used to. The two men were in their mid 20's and you could see they just got dressed fast.

"Nah, it's not your fault. He ran out into the street like the idiot he is," they both laughed and the guy slapped the back of his head.

"What are you doing leaving Lost Hills so late?" The other guy asked me through the crack in my window.

"I have to pick up my grandma from the airport?" I never intended it as a question but that's how it came out.

"Ah okay," man number 1 says. "Would you mind getting out of the car real quick?"

I knew how to handle this one, "I'm sure you two men are fine, but I personally need to be careful getting out of my car in the middle of the woods with two strangers."

"Oh yeah we totally understand!" Man number two was saying, "We are looking for someone currently and were told to document and question everyone leaving and entering town. I'm sure you understand."

He pulled out a police badge and issued for me to open the door. I slowly got out and joined them in my headlights. I handed them my ID.

"Megan Samuels," Man number one said out loud. "What's that on your ankle?" Both men looked at each other.

"Oh that?" I said it in a ditzy voice. "Me and my best friends got matching tattoos that mean we will be best friends forever in like a hundred languages!" I flipped my hair at the end of it.

What an idiot! Who forgets to cover up tattoos that are blatantly obvious! I hope my little annoying school girl scheme was enough.

"How about that necklace?" The first guy said cleverly after a moment of silence.

"OMG!" I spelled out loud. "My boyfriend gave it to me! Isn't it cute?! He had it specially made for me!" I twirled it as it asking for them to admire it.

"Oh ok. Why are you leaving town again?"

"Uhm grandma? Airport? Remember?" They seemed to be falling for my act, because they both looked annoyed.

The first guy nodded his head and they both exchanged a look, "You're free to go." I swear the guy almost looked disappointed, "Be careful though. These roads can be unpredictable."

I nodded my head and got back into my car. I gave an obnoxious wave as I drove off. I felt like a big weight had been lifted off my soldiers, because I had cleared my first obstacle no problem. I knew more were to come, but for now I felt comfortable with the idea that I wasn't being followed and I was going to do my own thing.

🌕🌖🌓🌒🌑🌘🌗🌔🌕🌖🌓🌒🌑🌘🌗

Who do you think those guys were? Scandalousssss

Thank you for reading:) all the support means so much!!