Sixteen

That night, Jisung had left, leaving me alone in the warmth of my apartment. I lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, the scene replaying in my head over and over again. A smile crept up on my face and I pulled the covers over my head and let out a squeal.

I never would have thought that out of all the people, Jisung, condom boy, would make me feel this way. I hugged my pillow and let out a long sigh. I really did hope things would work out between us. I mean, who wouldn't in their first relationship. Wait, were we even dating? Probably not, but a girl can dream.

Dismissing my thoughts, I hugged my pillow even tighter and drifted off into a deep sleep, dreaming of my condom boy.

_________

The next morning, I woke up by a buzzing sound. I groggily lifted my head off the pillow and looked around with half closed eyes, trying to find the source of the buzzing. I sat up and felt around my bed until I finally found my phone that was buzzing. The caller ID indicated that my mother was calling.

"Hello?" I answered, my voice laced with tiredness.

"Eva? Eva, honey! Did I wake you up?" The sound of my mother's frantic voice sounded from the other line.

"No," I lied, not wanting to make her feel bad.

"Oh, well I just thought I would call and wish my baby a Happy Birthday!" She laughed causing me to freeze.

I looked at the calendar next to my bedside table and notice that it was in fact my birthday. Wow, I've been so caught up doing other things that I forgot it was my birthday.

"Thanks mom," I silently thanked her for reminding me.

"Come by, me and your father have a little birthday cake waiting for you!" She exclaimed.

I agreed and hung up, lazily getting up and walking to the kitchen. I ate breakfast then jumped into the shower, but not before blasting some music. I sang along to The Wallows meanwhile I washed my hair, pausing once in a while to dance along to the song. I swear almost every time I play music in the shower, I end up having a world tour.

When I got out, I pulled out a sundress since it was about 90 degrees outside. The weather was so bipolar that it gave me headaches sometimes. I tugged it on over my head and grabbed some sandals before sitting down and doing my hair and makeup.

When I was done, the clock indicated that it was 12 in the afternoon. I grabbed my stuff and exited my apartment, making my way across the parking lot and onto the sidewalk. As I was walking, a voice shouted out my name, causing me to turn around and stop in my tracks. My eyes met with the figure of Jisung who was jogging to catch up to me.

He looked good, like always. He sported black ripped jeans with a plain white t-shirt and a jean jacket, his feet covered in vans. His hair bounced on his head as he jogged, a smile drawn on his face.

"Hey, Eva. Where are you going?" He asked when he finally caught up to me.

"Oh, I'm going to my parents house," I said as I started walking again, Jisung walking alongside me.

"Can I walk you there?" He asked me, hope filling his eyes.

"Yeah, I'd like that," I smiled.

He smiled and reached out for my hand, his fingers intertwining with mine. My cheeks turned red and I covered them with my hair so he wouldn't notice. He continued to ask me how my day was going, his eyes always meeting mine when I talked. He swung our arms like a child as we walked and I laughed at how childish he was.

"Hey Eva, you look really pretty today. I wanted to tell you when I first caught up to you, but I got shy," he nervously chuckled.

I giggled and thanked him, my head leaning onto his shoulder as I swung our arms back and forth. I wanted to stay like this and I wasn't ashamed to admit it anymore.

After a while, we arrived at the gates of my parents' home. The same flowers were still adorned around their house giving it a homey feeling. I turned to Jisung and thanked him for walking me here.

"Thanks for walking me here," I smiled up at him.

"I really don't mind, especially if I get to hold hands with you the whole way," he laughed as he squeezed my hand gently.

I was about to say something else when I was cut off by the voice of my mother.

"Eva, honey, you're here!" She ran to unlock the gate and crushed me into a hug.

"Mom, I can't breathe," I managed to choke out since she knocked all my air out of my body.

"Oh I'm sorry, it's just I can't believe you're 19 already, my baby's growing up," she sniffled, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Mom, please don't cry," I hugged her again.

"Okay, fine," she wiped away her tears before taking a notice of Jisung.

"And who's this?" She asked smiling over at him.

"Mom this is Jisung, my-"

"Boyfriend," Jisung cut me off, sticking his hand out in front of my mom.

I stared at him as he shook hands with my mom. This man sure was slick.

"Boyfriend? Eva never mentioned having a boyfriend," she glared at me.

"Yeah, I don't blame her. We recently made it official," he smiled at her.

"Well then, why don't you stay? We have a birthday cake waiting inside," she offered Jisung.

"Sure!" He agreed and took my hand as we followed my mom inside.

Before we entered, Jisung stopped in his tracks and turned to me.

"You didn't tell me it was your birthday," he frowned.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, I completely forgot until my mom called this morning and reminded me," I had responded.

"I didn't even have time to get you a gift," he pouted.

"It's okay, I don't need a gift, just stay by my side, that's all," I tugged him inside.

"Fine, but I'm getting you a gift later, wether you like it or not," he said following me.

I didn't need a gift from him. His simple presence was enough to make me happy. He, in a way, was my gift.