Chapter 26.

Chapter 26.

I picked Sierra up from daycare at the end of the day, glad to hear that she had a good day from the providers. She is talking again, her little hand in mine as we walk to the cabin. She napped which was good and allowed me to go to The Collector meeting. Our next steps are that I will meet up with him at some point in the near future, despite Fletcher's hesitation to approve it. I was too scared to ask who sanctioned Orlando's temporary transfer, especially with Caden Trent staring at me the entire meeting.

"Mommy?"

I look down at my daughter, my heart soaring as she looks up at me curiously. "What's up, beautiful?"

"Who's that man?" She points behind me.

I whirl, my stomach in knots as Caden smirks down at us. "Hello, Aria."

"Are you following me?" I ask, maneuvering myself between him and my daughter.

"I'm just making sure you two get home okay," He says, though I do not believe him for a second.

After everything that just went down between us, I need some space and intend to take it. "That's what Lana is here for," I say, looking over at my guard for the day. "I'll see you around."

Lana and Sierra continue talking, Sierra talking her ear off about the art project they did today in class. "Not tonight?" Caden asks, crossing his arms.

For once, he is not trying to be intimidating but I still take a step back. "Not tonight, CC's had a hard day with Orlando's departure and everything."

Caden leans down his breath hot against my ear, "I'll see you tomorrow night then." He murmurs, walking away before I can reply. My stomach drops, hoping that I can find another excuse to gain my space from him. Now that we have been intimate, he seems to think that this will be a consistent thing.

"Are you coming, Ms. Rossi?" Lana asks, breathing slightly heavily because Sierra made her do hopscotch on the sidewalk in her full uniform, including the 5 lbs (2.26 kg) bulletproof vest.

"Yeah, sorry," I say, glancing at Caden's back as he walks away. "Ready, sweetie?" I ask, clapping as Sierra finishes the hopscotch.

"Mommy do it!" She points to it, clapping her hands.

"Alright!" I grin, lifting my right foot as I jump through the first two boxes before landing on my two feet for the center ones. When I finish, I chase Sierra until I catch her around the waist, lifting her up. "Gotcha!"

She squeals, wriggling in my arms as I tickle her. "Mommy!" She squeals, laughing.

I reluctantly set her down, tucking her hair back into place. "I love you, CC."

"I wuv you too, Mommy," Sierra replies, her little face scrunched up as she slides her hand into mine.

"Wanna race home?" I suggest and Sierra takes off, her little arms pumping while Lana and I jog behind her. "Sorry," I offer my apology to Lana who is trying to keep up with all her gear on.

She grins, running with me. "It's alright, Ms. Rossi! It's good training." I smile at her, her eyes flashing with joy before we both race to catch up with Sierra.

~

Caden comes over the next night like he said he would, despite my attempts to get him to come over another time. I sent Sierra over to our neighbor Rebecca's house, and the second she was inside, Caden was on me.

"Can I be rougher this time?" He asks, tossing my shirt onto the floor, kissing down my neck as his hands touch my chest.

I nod, "A little but not too much."