Chapter 15.

~Third person POV~

"Thank you for agreeing to meet with us," Leonardo says, his eyes darting around the small cafe. He specifically chose a back table to see every person coming in and out of the front door. To his right is the small door leading to the kitchen area of the cafe, allowing him to monitor the staff as well. Though he has aged significantly over the years, his instincts were still as sharp as the knife he sharpened this morning in his boot.

"Of course," John Trent drawls, a smirk on his face. "Anything we can do to get in with the princess of this camp."

Sophia wraps her hands around her steam mug of tea, biting the inside of her cheek to keep herself from speaking but then relents. "Aria cannot know about this meeting!" Her husband shoots her a glare for speaking out of turn but she ignores him, keeping her blue eyes locked on the man in front of her.

John meets her gaze with an aloof, cool indifference that sends a shiver up her spine. He is around the same age as Leonardo but looks 15 years younger. His skin is tanned, a few wrinkles lining his face, and his dark hair is speckled with a few streaks of gray. His jaw is defined, his shirt unbuttoned enough that she can see the start of his chest hair. "Why is that, Mrs. Rossi?" He asks, raising his eyebrows.

"My daughter has been through enough already. She does not want us meddling in her affairs but as her parents, we know what is best for her." Leonardo says, staring at his potential business partner with a calculating stare. "And right now, we think that an alliance with your son will move this camp in the direction that it needs to expand."

"You want me to hook my son up with your daughter..." John says slowly, bringing the to-cup to his lips. He takes a long sip, contemplating. "What's in it for me?"

"The Council will renew your contract this month, despite the late shipments, and you will officially be inducted into the Council's outer circle," Leonardo explains, leaning his forearms on the table, elbows hanging off.

"Inner circle," John counters quickly with the deft, clipped tone of a seasoned businessman, driving a hard bargain.

"No-can-do," He explains. "My daughter keeps a close eye on the inner circle and its workings. Outer circle is the best that the Council can offer until Aria mellows out and agrees to transfer you in. The election is scheduled a month from tomorrow."

John nods slowly, "How would this union benefit the Council?" He asks, cocking his head to the side in a bird-like movement. "As you mentioned, there have been... delays in the shipments."

"Because the Council needs stability and structure if they want to stay in power," Leonardo murmurs, their table quieting as Kyle walks to the counter to order. He is too wrapped up in a conversation with the barista to notice so Mr. Rossi continues. "People are getting antsy that the Council has more questions than answers. They want a steady and reliable experience when they arrive at camp."

"The supply chain issues are not-" John starts but Leonardo cuts him off.

"You are replaceable, Mr. Trent," He says quietly, allowing a menacing pause to permeate between them. It works. John shifts uncomfortably on the thin blue cushion of the off-white chair. "The Council asked us to bring this offer to you first as their longest contract, but they easily have other options for imports."

Sophia speaks during the tense silence, "Our daughter's partner left her alone while he is off carrying out the Council's orders outside of camp. He broke her heart and she just needs some outside guidance to help her recover."

John glances back at Sophia, "What do I tell my son? He was in the hospital for a week because of her anger at the club."

Leonardo raises his eyebrows, scoffing slightly. "You said it yourself. Aria's the princess. Who doesn't want to be on the princess' arm?" John spins the cardboard around his to-go cup, contemplating the deal. "Don't think too hard," Leonardo says. "It's only on the table for another minute then we walk and tell the Council that you declined the opportunity to-"