Chapter 23.

Chapter 23.

~Aria POV~

I find Anastasia chatting with General Connors, sliding my arm into hers. She squeezes mine gently, placing her hand on top of mine. "Hi Mrs. Connors," I say softly, smiling at his wife.

It has been a while since I last saw her. She is a few inches shorter than me with mousy brown and brown eyes. Olive gained about 50 pounds and is at least two dress sizes bigger but it looks good on her. Her face has more of a form and she carries herself with a bit more confidence. "Hello Ms. Rossi," She offers a small smile that lights up her face.

"Would you like a drink?" I ask.

She nods and glances up at her inattentive husband before walking with me over to the bar. "You look good, Aria."

"So do you, Olive," I reply as we cut the line, gesturing to the bartender. I order our two tequila shots but Olive looks hesitant. "Are you pregnant?" I ask, glancing at her stomach.

Her hand covers her stomach, biting her lip. "We're trying to be."

"Liquid courage for tonight then?" I slide the shot over to her, picking up the lime.

Olive nods after glancing over to General Connors who sways, using Anastasia to help him remain vertical. Anastasia is a quarter of his weight so it is comical to see her hold him up, though the handful of times I have seen Draven very drunk, he also stumbles. She must be used to it.

"Liquid courage," Olive mutters, licking her hand before shaking the salt shaker onto it. We turn, both deftly taking the shot before ordering two Aperol Spritz.

"How has he been?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. We remain at the bar, people giving us ample space as we continue to catch up.

She shrugs, "We don't fight as much anymore and he hasn't thrown me down any stairs recently."

I offer her a half smile,  my heart aching for her. Like I admitted to Hunter Conrad earlier, there were small specific things that I missed but the constant anxiety and fear of bodily harm is not one of them. "That's good."

"I just-" She sighs, "If I get pregnant then it's a forever thing."

I watch her face fall, staring at the floor. She must feel so scared and isolated. "I know."

She takes a sip from her spritz, laughing bitterly. "I'm more secure though if I get pregnant. If I don't, he will probably kill me, ship me off to the Colonies, or put me into the testing facility."

"You can come to base," I offer quietly. "We'll keep you safe."

Olive laughs softly, "The XAR won't accept a known LM supporter and affiliate. My husband is on Xander's Council! We literally clean up all of Xander's messes."

"You and the Young's," I mutter, glancing over at them.

Olive scoffs, shaking her head. "Uptight bitches."

"She literally put plastic over all the furniture last time I was there," I roll my eyes.

"Dude, same!" Olive laughs, putting her hand on my arm as she does.

I grin, placing my hand on top of her. "I mean it though. Clean slate when you come to base." My smile slips, squeezing her hand to let her know that I am serious. "We'll protect you. Orlando can help you come back with us tonight." I subtly glance over at him.

"You guys are still together? I remembered you really missed him," She says, looking over at him after a beat. "He's cute."

"He's the father of our daughter," I say, shrugging. "We're not together anymore but he's still one of my best friends."