Chapter 3.

I am looking to change the book cover so if anyone has suggestions or can make one, please reach out! 

~Aria POV~

Sebastian and I exchange a look before we are following Chase from the house

Sebastian and I exchange a look before we are following Chase from the house. We drop Sierra off at daycare before the golf cart speeds to the Council building. I ran in before Chase even slowed to a stop, ignoring his cry of 'be careful!'

I take the stairs two at a time, not greeting the guards like I normally do as my heart thuds with each step. What happened to Sierra's father? I practically slam the doors open as I walk in. "What happened?" I demand, looking out over the assembled members.

"He's been shot," Kyle says from across the table, glancing at me as they watch the large TV screen that takes up much of the opposite wall.

"Play it," I say, jaw tense as I walk over to my seat. By the time Sebastian and Chase enter the chambers, Fletcher rewinds the news coverage, playing it from the beginning as my fingers drum nervously on the tabletop. I stare at the footage of Orlando speaking and then my heart sinks when I see him stumble, a look of surprise, anger, confusion, and pain shoot across his face all in one. His hand goes up to his chest as he falls and the footage cuts out.

The announcer comes onto the channel, "We're sorry to have shown that disturbing footage. Our publicist has told us that we are not allowed to release it, but we are hearing that young Violante is being rushed to the hospital right now. Please stay tuned for more details, but for now- here is Alex Vance talking about his new show-"

Kent turns it off as I let out every single curse word that I knew. "Who did it?" I demand, turning to him. "Has he been apprehended?"

"Yes," Uncle Sal says, crossing his arms.

"Where is he?" I growl, feeling a wave of burning anger crest inside of me. Fear had quickly been replaced by anger when I thought of Sierra growing up without a father.

"He's been apprehended," Bruce says in a calming tone. "We will deal with him accordingly when the time comes, Aria."

"Orlando is in surgery right now so there is nothing that we can do until he wakes up," Kent says dismissively. "For right now, our main goal is to get another statement out there as soon as possible. We need to condemn Xander's assassination attempt and get in front of this!"

Bruce put a hand on my arm as I opened my mouth to argue with Kent, "Not now," He murmurs quietly in my ear. "Let him do what he's trained to do."

I grit my teeth and managed to keep my mouth shut, gnawing on my tongue to keep myself from shouting at them. With my brothers and the Violante's currently fighting, the PR speech fell to me. One look at the look on my face and Sebastian immediately volunteers in my place. "I'll do it with Caine and a few other soldiers behind me. It'll be better coming from the heads of security than from her. We need Aria to focus on recruitment and gaining support, not this stuff. If Orlan- When Orlando feels better," He corrects himself, "We can maybe shoot something then but until that happens..."