Chapter 22.

Chapter 22.

I stare at myself in the mirror, feeling like myself for the first time in months. The ball gown is stunning. It is the Juniper Snipe collection like I requested, glad that the Trent's did not fight me on it. It is a fitted top that flares out at my ribs in a ball gown shape. The dress is a deep red pattern with small diamonds sewn onto the bodice. I reach down, securing one of the diamond earrings I borrowed from my mom in my ear.

"Mommy?" Sierra calls, walking into the room, holding crayons and a coloring page.

"Drop the crayons," Julianna says without looking at my daughter as she flutters around my hair. Her 'mom' voice is scary. I offer her a grin in the mirror as I hook the earring into my lobe which she returns.

"Come here, sweetie." I say, glancing at my daughter's reflection as she runs over to me. Once one earring is secure, I barely have time to scoop her into my lap.

"Pweety, Mommy!" She giggles, reaching up for the earring.

Gently, I grab her hand, pressing her palm to my lips because Julianna has not done my makeup yet. "Thank you, sweetheart! Are you going to be good for Grandma and Grandpa [Nicole and Cassius]."

She makes a face, "Can't I go to Auntie Stassi's?"

"She's coming with Mommy tonight," I say, stroking her hair. Life has really come full circle. I remember watching my mother get ready for galas and events and now I am, holding my daughter in my lap as I get ready. It makes my heart surge with love. Despite her struggles, I lean down, kissing her cheek.

"Is Dimi stwaying with me?" She asks, effectively dodging my second attempt to kiss her.

"Yes. Mommy and Auntie Stassi will be home really late so we won't see you guys until the morning. Why don't you want to stay with Grandma and Grandpa?" I lean forward slightly putting my second earring on.

She huffs a big sigh, wiggling in my lap to turn to face the mirror. "They make me wead!" She groans, resting her little elbows on the table, her chin laying in her chubby hands. I wish I could kiss her all over but she is now at an age where she will squirm away. In retrospect, I wish I kissed her more before she gained autonomy because the older she gets, the less she will like me.

I smile at her in the mirror, securing the second earring in place. "Reading is an important life skill. Mommy has to read stuff every day."

Sierra rolls her eyes in the mirror, "It's bowing!"

"Boring?" I grin, squishing her chubby cheek.

She squeals, trying to dodge away. "Mommy!"

"I know, I'm sorry, sweetie. I just love you so much!" I kiss her temple as she squirms in my lap. I cage her in, not letting her off. "Baby, I know that you don't like reading but I promise that Grandma and Grandpa will have a really fun night for you planned, alright? You'll be good, don't roll your eyes at them, and I think Daddy and Ms. Kylie are coming over for dinner tonight."

She perks up at that, sitting up straight in my lap. "I love Ms. Kylie! She's so pwetty!"

Julianna and I lock eyes in the mirror. I reach over for my wine glass, taking a sip. "Yep."

Sierra succeeds in getting off my lap, running over to the other chair to crawl on. "Ms. Julianna, when you're dwne with Mommy, can you do my makewup?"

~

Orlando opens the car door for me, stepping back as the cameras begin to flash as I climb out of the car. I grasp his hand tightly, wishing that I practiced this more to make it look more graceful. "Smile," He murmurs, reminding me as he releases my hand once I am standing.