Chapter 18.

Sorry, I have been MIA for the past few months- grad school and work have been crazy! I have about 60+ pages of ideas and shorts that I have thought of but need to find a good way to fit them into the timeline. Some might be flashbacks, interludes, or mini-scenes because I really like most of them :) 

~Aria POV~

Orlando texts me that he and Kylie are going back to his house to talk it through so I make my exit before they return. I sneak out from camp, surprised at the ease in which I manage to escape, driving through the night.

I get to Djordje's house by midday, climbing from the SUV to stretch my legs. My hip flexors silently protest at the moment, straining as I stretch. Two guards walk over, weapons trained on me until Elijah calls them off. "What are you doing here, girly?"

"I needed a break from... everything," I say, closing the distance between us as he pulls me in for a hug. A sense of relief washes over me as I am back on Djordje's familiar grounds.

"He's in the greenhouse."

I laugh quietly, releasing Elijah. He lets go then pulls me back in for a hug. "It's great to see you, Aria. Really."

I squeeze him around the waist, "You too, man. How's Jelaya?"

We step back at the same time, "She's good. I think we're going to try for a baby soon!"

"That's awesome, El! I'm so happy for you both!" I clap his shoulder then see more guards that I know and recognize, grinning as I go to greet them. We catch-up, making small talk until I finally excuse myself, making for the greenhouse. I head down the familiar path to the long glass building. There is still the gray circular stones lining the way, the random red stone still by the large bush. A gust of warm air and the earthy smell hits me as I open the heavy door, stepping inside from the cold. There are the sounds of water dripping around us from the irrigation pipes above many of the plants.

Djordje is shirtless, wearing an apron to protect himself as he is repotting a fern. He looks up at the sound of the door, blinking once then twice in shock, a slow smile appearing on his face. "Aria!"

We run to one another, me launching myself at him as he wraps me in a tight, familiar, hug

We run to one another, me launching myself at him as he wraps me in a tight, familiar, hug. "Hi," I murmured into his neck, threading my hand into his hair. His arms wrap around my waist, gripping me close to his chest. My breathing becomes uneven as tears threaten to fall, having missed him. Djordje smells of earth and sandalwood. It reminds me of safety. He makes me feel safe.

He finally loosened his grip, pulling back enough to kiss my forehead, both hands cupping my cheeks. "How've you been? Is everything alright? Sierra? Lan?" His accent is lessened, his English lessons paying off. Though his accent usually returns when he is angry.

"They're good," I say quickly, not wanting to stress him out. With a bit of space between us, I see he mounted the painting of his sister I gave him on a shelf behind him. It makes me happy that he put her here, surrounded by the greenery and calmness of his greenhouse. I remember her burial under that beautiful willow tree. "I'm doing alright. I was in the area and needed to see you." I lied, his face indicating that he does not believe a word that I am saying.