Chapter 16.

Chapter 16.

Staring around the cafeteria, I sip my tea quietly from my seat in the corner. Camp has now expanded with the 24/7 construction team, the cafeteria going from a tent to an actual building with electricity, and fully-functional kitchen. It seats 1,500, not enough to seat all of the camp, but with the additional staffing, their hours have changed so people can come whenever so the flow is much better.

Amara sits next to me, setting her tray down. "Kennedy and I broke up last night." She says, biting her lip.

"What?" I ask, shaken from my thoughts. "Are you alright? What happened?"

"Nothing," She murmurs, putting her head in her hands. "We love each other but it just felt like the right time to end things."

I wrap my arm around her shoulders, "I'm so sorry, girl. That's really hard."

"Aria, can I borrow you for a second?" A deep male voice asks from behind me. Amara and I both turn, my arm dropping to the back of her chair as we look up at Caden Trent. "Am I interrupting something?"

"Obviously," I say dryly, biting the inside of my cheek.

"It'll be quick, I promise!" He offers a small smile. I am about to decline again when Amara gets a phone call, giving me a half smile and a gesture to go speak with him.

I stand up, not even coming up to his shoulder as he puts a hand on my back, leading me to the side out of ear shot from any nosy onlookers. "Listen, about that night..." I say quietly, biting my lip, suddenly grateful to be in a public place with guards if he decides to attack me.

"Water under the bridge," He waves off the apology. "I was an ass that night and you were drunk and defensive. I just wanted to reintroduce myself because I hear we'll be working closely together with the Council."

"Is that so?" I ask cautiously, caught off-guard.

"My father has been re-signed as the camp's primary importer and the Council is working closely with him to ensure that the late shipments are minimal. You want the Council to have a good relationship with us, right?" I cock my head at his question, taken-aback at his bluntness. He offers another award-winning smile as he holds his hand out.

Slowly, I slide my hand into his, firmly shaking his hand. His hand is massive, completely enveloping mine in the handshake. "Alright, well, here's to developing a better relationship with us," I reply, pulling my hand back. "I am sorry for letting my temper get to me... I truly am."

"You were just defensive that night," He shrugs, patting my shoulder. "Drinking and being confused when someone is genuinely hitting on you are never a good combination, so I hope that you've changed your ways."

Alarm bells ring in my ear. There is something too slick about his tone, but he makes sense. Drinking and my actions that night led to putting the man in front of me in the hospital for a week. Still, I vividly remember him forcibly pulling me to him more than once but if he is forgiving me, what can be the harm in acknowledging my mistakes that night. "You're right, I have." I lied.

"Good, well, I just wanted to make a brief introduction and I guess I'll see you at the next Council meeting!" Caden grins before walking over to a group of women waiting for him, throwing his arm around one of their shoulders. She turns, smirking back at me.

I roll my eyes before going back to Amara. "I just had the weirdest fucking conversation with Caden Trent."

"What did he want?" She asks, breaking part of the crust off her toast before taking a bite.

I explain, including the odd phrasing he used. She cocks her head and I bark out a laugh. "That's exactly what I did, Mari!"

"That's weird. Stay as far away from him as you can," She shakes her head. "Guess who called me?"