Chapter 4.

~Ryker POV~

I grit my teeth and roll over, coughing as I feel the dryness in my throat. There were the sounds of firing, men yelling, and a ringing in my head. I look over and see blood from where I had rolled from. My eyes widen and I look down, seeing my leg. There was a long shard of wood sticking out. I stare at it, my thoughts not catching up with my reality then it all crashes in. The pain is blinding. I bite the inside of my cheek hard to keep from yelling as I take off my shirt, shaking. I yell out as I lift my leg up a little to put the shirt under before tying it off. I force myself to stand, yelling in pain.

"You alright?" A man says jogging over.

"No there's a fucking piece of wood in my leg!" I snap, as he comes over helping me out of what used to be our base camp dorm room.

"You got this," He says as he lets me put the majority of my weight on him. I let out a grunt of pain as I have to put pressure on my leg to step over a log. "You, come over and help!" The guy helping me snaps.

The lone soldier was over by the shed and jogs over, "Lean on me."

I let them basically hold me up as we hobbled to what was deemed as the safest location while others covered us. When they let me sit down on the ground with the other injured, I looked up and saw the guy who fought with me earlier. He gives me a nod of reassurance before jogging off to help.

I look around at the other injured men. Some were passed out already, while others were helping if they could, and others groaning in pain. Injuries ranged from burns, shrapnel, and even blown off limbs. The smell of burning flesh reaches my nose as some soldiers bring over a man covered in burns and I force myself not to gag. The man was placed next to me on my right and groans in pain as he is laid down on the ground.

I pull out my gun, cocking it as I look above us for the returning plane. The dust and clouds made it impossible to see, but I could hear it, and judging from how quickly the bombs had fallen last time I knew that I needed to shoot quickly. I bite my lip, waiting until I finally shoot. There was an explosion and everyone ducks as shards of plane begin raining down. "Nice shot," A man on my left side says, breathing shallowly, part of a road sign sticking out of his chest.

"Thanks," I say softly. "Hang in there, man."

He shakes his head, chuckling before coughing up blood, "T-there's a... a note in my pocket for my wife. Please get it to her!"

I frown deeply, "You're gonna make it back to her, Patterson!" I say, reading his name from his shirt.

"I'm not... Please?" He begs, coughing up more blood. It drips down his chin. He is right. If he is coughing blood, there is next to no chance for him.

I sigh shakily, "Okay. I will. I promise!"

He smiles a little, "Thank you..."

Patterson shuts his eyes and I frown deeply. "Stay awake!" My stomach sinks as I lean over to shake him, but see him breathe out before he slumps to the side a little, dead.

~Maisie POV~

Wayland grabs my arm, yanking me around with such force that I stumble into his chest. I hate to admit it but I let out a cry of surprise, pushing away from him but he holds me tightly by my wrists. "Where the fuck is she?" He demands.

"I don't know!" I reply, tugging against his grip but he is much stronger than me. "She left this morning to pick up supplies but she hasn't been back!"

"Let her go!" Maverick cries from the couch.

I glance over at my son, swallowing. "It's okay, Mav."