Chapter 8.

Chapter 8.

~Aria POV~

I look at the four people before us. They look rough after their travels, but the girl looks at me with wide eyes. "Who are you and what do you want?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"You're in charge?" A man steps forward. The girl next to him touches his arm, murmuring something that sounds suspiciously like my name but she said it too quietly for me to hear.

I watched him for a moment, "Yes, now please answer my question."

He nods, "Name's Rodney, ma'am. We've traveled across the country to come and find a safe haven from Xander's tyranny."

Kent looks him over, "How do I know that you're not some spy or that you don't got a spy amongst you?" We have accepted refugees, integrated people from former-LM controlled cities in the area, but we never had a convoy of at least 500 people drive out to our camp from afar like this. Understandably, the camp is apprehensive at accepting these strangers.

"I really do not believe in any of the things that he does, sir!" Rodney says. "We've been across the country, fighting his regime, seen your video, and just knew that we had to do something in order to help protect this country. You said that you wanted supporters, well you got 'em, ma'am."

"You didn't answer my question, boy!" Kent snaps, hand on his gun at his hip. I touch his shoulder lightly and he seems to calm down.

"You're just going to have to trust us, sir," Rodney says, ducking his head.

The woman steps forward, "I can vouch for everyone here. We all saw your video and it meant a lot to have someone leading this movement. Especially a woman. I-I'm Lila, ma'am."

I scrunch my nose up, "Don't call me ma'am, it makes me feel old! Fine. They can go park on the field down the way and let them settle outside of the wall for now. We will have guards patrolling your encampment while we figure out what to do with you."

"Thank you! That means a lot, ma'am!" Rodney says, smiling widely. They look relieved, chatting amongst themselves, the twins flanking Rodney and Lila as they turn to the guards who blindfold them then escort them from the room.

"Dismissed," Kent says, waving his hand and turns to me, his eyebrows raised. "Really?"

I wait for the door to shut, "Don't really me. This is what we wanted. Supporters."

"Not like this! We aren't prepared for this. There's at least 550 people in those cars. More probably!" Bruce frowns. "The Welcome Committee certainly isn't."

I sigh deeply, "So we expand. We move the boundaries of the wall. We're going to register everyone onto a roster and get them jobs to do like before. New bodies and the bigger need for space- we can build more cabins, enlist more truck drivers, expand the wall's borders-"

"I don't want these people coming in and taking my food and resources," Kyle mutters.

"Me neither," Chase frowns. "At least that is what most of the town is gonna say."

"I understand that," I say, putting my hair up in a ponytail, "But they are more than welcome to leave at that point because we should be gaining supporters, not hiding behind the fence of our base."

Johnny sighs, "So that's it then? They're staying?"

"Let's put it to a vote," I say. "Raise your hand for yes?" Kent, Bruce, Johnny and I raise my hand while Kyle and Chase did not.

"We really should all be on the same page about it before we go public with this decision," Kent says, looking over at them.

Chase looks at me, a slight frown creasing his forehead. "General Sawyer would let them in but I'm worried about your safety, Ri." It goes unsaid around us that Sebastian has charged Chase with my welfare.