Chapter 25.

Chapter 25.

~Aria POV~

Caden is gone when I wake up so I immediately dress before walking to Orlando's cabin. It is about a seven minute walk and I am shivering in my layers when I finally knock on the door. Much to my dismay, Kylie opens the door, her eyes red.

"Oh, it's you," She sniffles, stepping back to let me in. Polar jumps at my knees and I lean down scratching his ears before walking in.

Orlando is packing a bag, Sierra clinging to his back like a monkey. He looks over as I walk in, offering me a forced half smile. "Hey," He says quietly. I can tell he is on the verge of tears but fighting it.

"Mommy!" Sierra wails, tightening her grip on Orlando.

He coughs, squirming before wriggling a hand underneath his throat to loosen her grip. "Jesus, CC!"

"He's leaving in an hour!" Kylie says, walking to her kitchen to get her mug of tea. "What am I going to do with him gone?"

"Go back to your tent and stop freeloading his cabin when he's not here," I mutter, walking over to help Orlando zip the pack.

"Stop," He says under his breath.

I take a deep breath, looking over at Kylie. "I'm sorry, Kylie. I'm just nervous about him leaving too. It'll be an adjustment for all of us."

Kylie sniffles again, wiping her eyes. "Like right now he's friends with all of my friends. His entire unit is dating people that I know, so they'll all be sad too! And he'll be in danger-"

"Girl, shut up!" I snap as Sierra starts crying again. I barely manage to get her off of Orlando's back before he stalks from the room, slamming the bedroom door. Sierra clings onto me as she cries into my chest as I glare at Kylie. 'Seriously?' I mouth, not caring to hide my irritation.

"I'm sorry!" She sniffles. "He'll just be gone!"

Sierra wails and I stare up at the ceiling as the tears in my eyes threaten to fall, more from frustration than sadness right now. "I know, baby," I coo softly, kissing my daughter's head. "Daddy will just be gone for a little but he always comes back." Polar hops up next to us, licking Sierra's hand, watching her sadly.

"Why is he weaving me?" She hiccups, rubbing her little fists across her eyes. I use my shirt to gently get some of the boogers from her nose as one bubbles from her left nostril.

"He has work," I explain, running my thumbs under her eyes. They come back soaked. "He's going to miss you so much but he still has to go to work. It's just like when you stay with Mommy so he can work except that he won't be at camp."

Sierra hiccups again, a fresh batch of tears falling from her face. Kylie and I look over as Orlando opens the bedroom door, gesturing to me. I lift Sierra onto my hip, walking us into the tiny bedroom. This is the first time I have actually seen it. It is sparsely decorated with a single vase of fresh flowers on the bookcase.

I hand Orlando our daughter, both of us sitting on the bed as we try to calm her down. She is inconsolable at the thought of Orlando leaving base. "We were going to send you off but I think that would be too much right now."

"I agree," He nods, his face pained, holding his daughter closer.

"It'll be fine. We'll be fine," I say quietly, dropping my hand from her back to rest on his bicep for a moment.

He glances at it and I quickly drop it back into my lap. "I'm sorry for our argument yesterday," He says, reaching out to lift my chin up to look at him. "I said some things in anger that I did not mean, I was just worried."