Chapter 10.

~Sebastian POV~

*one month ago* June 2039

I shift uncomfortably in my seat as I sit in front of the entire Council. Kent, Bruce, Kyle, Johnny, Caine, Draven, Ryker, Fletcher, Acacia, and a few honorary members. "Is something wrong?" I ask, keeping my tone level. "Why isn't Aria here?"

"She does not need to be in attendance," Kent murmurs. "This is about you."

"I've gathered that," I reply stiffly as I look out at the group before me. "Is there something I've done?" I flashback to everything that has happened over the last few months, though all the kill's I have done were cleared by the Council.

"It's something you're going to do," Kent says, picking up a file. "You're going to break up with Aria."

I bark out a laugh, "Excuse me?"

"You're going to break up with my sister because if you don't, we'll reveal the war crimes you committed last month to get Denver back for us," Draven says, leaning forward. Oh, that. "Do you think our sweet innocent sister wants to hear about how you cut that LM's body piece by piece until he told you about the weapons?"

My jaw tightens, knowing that I in fact, do not want that image in Aria's head. Ever. "She knows," I lied, trying to act casual. "There are no secrets between us."

"She knows about Maria?" Fletcher asks quietly.

"That wasn't anything-" I started.

"Unfortunately we know that not to be true," Bruce sighs, running a hand over his face. "So your choice is, either do what we're asking you to do, or we tell her and take matters into our own hands." I do not hide the anger that rises up inside of me, opening my mouth up to speak but Bruce cuts me off. "You will tell her this afternoon and then you ship out to run checks on a few new XAR camps in the area. You'll be gone for about a month. This is non-negotiable. Every time you are gone, we lose Aria's focus and we need her to be locked into the movement."

"It'll be a clean break. A win-win for everyone," Kent says decisively.

I flex my hand, making a fist. "How is this a win for me, Kent?" I demand.

"You won't have to hide your true nature," He laughs softly. "I know you're itching to go out there and inflict more bloodshed. Playing house here with her and Sierra isn't in your cards right now, nor is it in the Council's best interest to allow you to waste away here at camp."

I turn to Ryker, casting a pleading look. "Please, this isn't going to be good! She doesn't deserve this!"

Ryker takes a deep breath, then settles back against his chair. The glimmer of humanity I saw in him vanished. Now, he looks every bit the bored, entitled, middle-child. "You'll do as you're told, soldier."

I try one last time, feeling hot all over. I hate that tears spring to my eyes, "She's only ever asked for honesty from us! When she finds out, this will break her!"

"You want her to find out that you fucked a girl from another camp?" Draven roars, making the table vibrate with the intensity of it.

Fletcher lifts his phone up, shaking it at me. "I saw the texts between you two. She filled in the rest for us at a later date. If honesty is your reasoning, you shouldn't've done her..."

Bruce shakes his head, looking down. I can tell he is disappointed at this. At me. "Please," I whisper. "Maria and I were nothing. She knows I'm with Aria-"

"Were with Aria," Kent corrects. "You are no longer her boyfriend." I am about to stand up but he tuts quietly. "Sit down, General. We need to brief you on your upcoming assignment."