Chapter 28.

Chapter 28.

Safely in the van, I lean back against the seat, closing my eyes against the stabbing pain in my head. Now that I am on the way back to camp, to my daughter, I finally feel as if I can breathe again. My stomach had dropped through the floor when we ran in on Octavia and Levi, and dropped even further when I saw blood seeping through Legend's fingers. The XAR soldiers are clearing the club and will be giving the girls a choice to come to camp or figure out their welfare on their own.

"Drink," Lana says, nudging my hand with a water bottle.

Reluctantly, I open my eyes, taking it from her. "Thanks."

"It's a long drive back to camp," She says quietly, looking over at Octavia who is asleep across two seats, her wrist in a make-shift splint that Nelson made.

"We're not going to make it," I reply, "We need to stop somewhere."

"They want us straight back," Lana presses.

I drink half the water bottle, grimacing at another stabbing in my head. "They can deal with it. Let me make a phone call," I sigh, handing it back to her.

~

"I can't house your people in the main house, but I hope this is alright," Djordje murmurs, leaning against the doorframe of his guard's quarters. "They are all up and they all are on patrol so that you guys can rest."

I cross my arms around myself, shivering. "It's perfect, D."

He frowns a little before jerking his head to my crew. "Come on up though, Aria."

I glance back at my team, all who are injured and hurt. The additional guards behind Lana had all been apprehended by Levi's men and savagely beaten. A handful of girls who refused to leave Octavia's side were now asleep on the lofted bunks, Lana currently administering another needle to keep her unconscious. Shaun sits at her bedside, his head in his hands. "I can't leave them," I reply, looking over as his on-call doctor makes the rounds.

"You can and you will," Katya says from behind Djordje.

He stiffens, his jaw tightening. "You should be resting," He says coldly as he turns to look at her.

Katya looks terrible. She has lost at least 30 pounds, her skin drawn and taught over her bones. Her eyes have dark bags under them and she appears as if she can barely stand. "Come on." She says to me, completely ignoring him.

I look back at Lana who waves me off, "I've got it handled here, Ms. Rossi. Go get some rest."

Somewhat reluctantly, and just because it is Djordje's house, I leave them as I walk up with Katya. Glancing behind me, I expect Djordje to come with us but I see him entering the guard's quarters to speak with Lana. "I'm sorry for imposing so late..."

"It's fine," Her tone is clipped and hardened.

I nod once, getting the memo. She wraps her cardigan more around herself as we follow the path up to the main house, passing a few guards on the way who murmur their quiet greeting. My head throbs with each step but I force myself to keep pace with her, grateful when we finally enter through the kitchen doors. The clock on the wall reads 4:08 am.

"Upstairs, first door on the left," She murmurs, gesturing around the kitchen. "Feel free to eat anything if you want... I have to be up early for a donor meeting."

After the near death experience, my stabbing headache, and exhausted body, all I can do is nod. "Thank you."

She goes upstairs and I get a glass of water before looking over as Djordje comes in. "They're good. They have snacks, water, and are tucked in for the night." I nod, taking a sip of water as my body sways slightly. "Come on," He says. I take one step and then the glass of water slips from my hands, shattering on the ground. Djordje barely has time to pull me out of the way before everything goes dark.