Chapter 14.

~Aria POV~

*September 2039*

I swallow, my hands clenching and unclenching as I stand backstage. The hair and makeup team flutter around me but I am lost in my thoughts. Over one of my makeup artist's shoulders, I can see Hunter Conrad warming up the crowd. He is wearing a dark blue suit today, the button in the middle securing both flaps tightly against his pudgy stomach. Hunter grew his hair out which is now in a slicked back ponytail, the gel shining under the bright lights. He raises his hand to wave and I close my eyes, getting lost in a flashback momentarily.

~*Flashback*

We are at a fundraising party for President Caine. Xander's associates are all here and the first thing I noticed when we walked in is the lack of wives. My stomach flips, realizing what type of night it will be. "Sit down," Xander growls in my ear. I sit immediately, dropping my eyes to the floor as Hunter walks over, shaking Xander's hand. "Hunter, how are you?" Xander laughs, clapping his other hand around the talk show host's outstretched one.

"Doing well, doing well!" Hunter says warmly, leaning down to kiss my cheek. I reciprocate it before quickly glancing at Xander. He gives me a curt nod of approval, easing the rising pit of anxiety in my stomach. "Aria, you look beautiful as always!"

I force a smile, "Thank you, Hunter. The show today was wonderful."

He laughs, clapping me hard on the shoulder. "I appreciate it! Xander, may I have a few moments of your time?"

Xander nods. They disappear from my sightline at the bar and I take a shaky breath, remaining in my seat. The photographer comes over, making me pose for a few photos before I return to the chair, my knee bouncing nervously. Did Hunter want time with me? What type of a person was he off-camera? He seemed genuinely hard to read.

"You look beautiful, Aria." A deep voice says from behind me.

I turn, looking up at President Caine's personal advisor. My body stiffens, my nails digging deep into my palm. "Thank you, sir," I say quietly. He holds his hand out and I reluctantly take it, letting him draw me from my seat and closer to him. "The party is lovely. Thank you for the invitation."

"Of course," He murmurs, eyes staring blatantly at my chest. The dress that Xander and I agreed on for tonight had a plunging neckline almost to my belly button and the same at the back of the dress. It was still a beautiful dress except when it caught unwanted attention.

"Xander is in a meeting with Hunter Conrad at the moment-" I start but he is already pulling me toward the door. "He asked me to stay-"

"Shut up!" He growls, tightening his grip around my wrist. I swallow, wincing when he yanks me into a small room down the hallway, locking the door behind us. "Get on your knees," He orders, undoing his belt. I swallow, kneeling slowly. I place my hands in my lap, hands clenched into tight fists. The belt wraps around my neck before I can take another breath and I scream, fighting the constricting pressure. "Shh," He says, leaning down by my ear. His hand is at the base of my neck, holding the belt tightly. "You know better than that."

Somehow, I manage to calm my breathing. "I-I'm sorry, sir," I rasp out and he loosens the belt marginally, it is better than before but still hard to get the air my body demands.

"Good," He murmurs, thumbing the top of my head before walking in front of me. I tremble, looking up at him.

"What is going on here?" Hunter asks from behind us. Benjamin smirks as I draw a shuddering breath, dropping my eyes back to his shoes as Hunter walks around me slowly, looking down at me. "Look at me," He orders, his voice thick.