You're safe - Jonah Marais

Start from the beginning

Eventually the door opened when my dad regained consciousness and police came inside.

"That's him," I said and pointed to my dad in fear. They nodded then put him in handcuffs and brought him outside. I hugged Jonah in relief and he held me tightly in his arms. He gently played with my hair.

When we pulled away my little brother came down the stairs worried. He ran over to me and hugged my waist tightly. I went on my knees so I'm the same height as him and hugged him tightly.

"Are you ok?" he asked while crying.

"I'm fine, just a few hits, I'm ok," I replied. I held him tightly and gently brushed my fingers through his hair. "I'm ok."

We pulled away and I wiped his tears with a small smile. I stood back up and smiled at Jonah.

"I'm going to stay the night to make sure you guys are ok," Jonah told us.

"Ok," I replied. "Let's get to bed."

We all went upstairs and I tucked my little brother in then went to my room where Jonah was waiting.

"Do you mind if I sleep without a shirt?" he asked.

"Go ahead," I replied with a smile. I changed in the bathroom into pyjama pants and a tank top. Then I went back into my bedroom.

I laid down on the bed beside Jonah and he wrapped an arm around me. "How did you know to come over?" I asked.

"You forgot your jacket at the park so I came to return it," he answered.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"You're welcome," he replied. I closed my eyes and slowly fell asleep.

*the next morning*

I woke up with my head on Jonah's chest and our legs tangled together under the blanket. I smiled to myself and stayed there.

Eventually I felt Jonah shuffle around a little bit.

"Good morning," he mumbled with a groggy voice.

"Good morning Jo," I replied with a smile. He wrapped his arms around me again and held me close.

"Are you feeling ok?" he asked.

"A little sore, but I'll be fine," I answered. We pulled away from each other and he smiled at me, but it quickly faded.

"Your cheek is bruised," he said and touched it gently, making me wince.

"Jo, I'm fine, really," I convinced.

"Has he always been like that?"

"Only when he's drunk, but he's been sober for 3 years," I answered. Jonah looked upset but I just smiled at him. "It's ok Jo, I'm fine."

He gently nodded and a small smile appeared on his face. He slowly moved his face closer to mine and eventually closed the gap with our lips. I smiled slightly which caused him to also smile.

Jonah gently pulled my waist closer to deepen the kiss.

When we eventually pulled away we smiled at each other.