Family - Zach Herron

Y/N's POV

"Jake! Come here please!" I shouted up the stairs while trying to hold three baskets of laundry. Zach and my 13 year old son came running down the stairs and saw me struggling.

"Need help mom?" Jake asked with a laugh.

"Yes please," I replied with a smile. He took two of the baskets then helped me bring them upstairs into my bedroom. Jake followed me back down to the kitchen then I started making dinner.

"Hey mom?" Jake asked.

"Yes?"

"Why has dad been distant lately? All he does is play guitar in his studio room, I feel like we never see him anymore, I feel like he doesn't love me anymore," Jake said with a sad expression on his face. I hugged him and kissed the top of his head.

"I don't know, he does love you, he loves you a lot, maybe go ask him to play basketball for a while," I suggested as I pulled away from the hug.

"Ok I will," he said then ran upstairs. Being the nosy person I was I followed so I could listen. "Hey dad," Jake said as he entered the studio.

"I'm sorry Jake I'm super busy ri-," Zach started but Jake cut him off.

"That's what I want to talk to you about. I feel like we never see each other anymore, so I was wondering if we could just play basketball for a little bit together," Jake said slowly.

"Jake, I already said I was busy, so please just leave," Zach shouted.

"O-ok, s-sorry," Jake said then walked out. Jake ran to his room and I stormed into Zach's studio.

"What the hell was that? Your son wants to spend time with you because you haven't been spending time with him and you yell at him? You haven't yelled at him since he was 3, 10 years ago. He just wants to spend time with you, and I do too. You've been cooped up in this stupid studio for the past 3 months, not even paying attention to us. He starts high school in 3 weeks, 3 fucking weeks Zach, if you keep acting like this, before you know it he'll be graduating collage and moving out to start a family of his own. Is that how you want to spend your son's life Zach?" I shouted. Zach looked up at me, tears of guilt filled his eyes. "Tell me Zach, is that how you want to spend his childhood?"

"No, and I know I was being distant. I know I've been a terrible father, and, I'm sorry," he said slowly, his voice filled with regret.

"Zach, you haven't been a terrible father, you've been a great father, just a terrible role model," I told him. "Now go apologize to your son."

Zach smiled and nodded then stood up and walked to Jake's room.

A few minutes later Zach and Jake we're running down the stairs laughing, they went outside to the basketball net and I watched as they started playing. I smiled at them as I watched Jake score a basket.

This is the life I want.