Mute - Jonah Marais

Y/N's POV

I'm mute, I have been for years, I just don't like talking to people, especially at school. I don't answer questions in class and I sit alone at lunch.

I was sitting at my regular lunch table alone, like usual, when a person sat next to me. I looked up and saw a tall brunette boy sitting there with a small smile. I looked at him in fear and backed up a little bit.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm Jonah," he said softly and put a hand on my shoulder. I flinched and he shot me a smile. "It's ok, I'm not going to hurt you." I nodded then looked down. "What's your name?"

I got out my phone and opened notes, I wrote down my name then showed Jonah. "Y/n, that's a beautiful name," he told me. I blushed then looked away from him.

"Hey look, Jonah's sittings with the loser," a random guy came by and snickered. Jonah looked at him in anger while I looked away in fear.

"Shut up Garret, I'm just trying to talk to her," Jonah said boldly back to the guy.

"She doesn't talk, like, ever, bro you're better off just leaving her alone," Garret told Jonah.

"Just fuck off dude, what's so wrong with me making friends?" Jonah asked rudely. I looked at him in shock, he actually wants to be friends with me?

"Well with her, there's a lot of problems."

"Who fucking cares if she's mute, I've seen her alone everyday and she doesn't deserve to be alone, and so far she has the most caring soul I've ever seen, she has a beautiful personality that jerks like you can't see, so just go away and leave us alone," Jonah said, a bit too loud. The whole cafeteria was now staring at us and I stood up and ran away, as I was running away I heard Jonah say something. "You scared her asshole."

I kept running until I reached the library, I sat down in the corner and cried into my arms.

I felt someone sit down next to me and I saw it was Jonah, I looked away from him in embarrassment, I didn't want him to see me cry. "Hey, Shh, it's ok," he said then wrapped his arms around me. I cried into his chest and he rubbed my back softly. "Don't mind him, he's such a jerk towards other people, he's just jealous of your beauty."

I blushed and held onto Jonah tighter. I pulled out my phone and wrote 'thank you Jonah' then I showed it to him. "You're welcome," he replied.

When I calmed down I wiped my tears then Jonah brought me back to the cafeteria, everybody stared at us which made me hesitant, I looked up at Jonah and he smiled at me. "Just smile, be confident," he whispered to me. I nodded then put on the most confident face that I could.

Jonah and I sat down at the table again and continued eating. I heard everyone around us start whispering and I started getting anxious, I looked at Jonah with an uneasy look and he gave me a reassuring smile. "Want to skip school?" he asked. I gave him an unsure look. "Come on, all we have left is art and science, we won't be missing much."

I sighed then nodded, Jonah took my hand and started pulling me out of the cafeteria. He brought me to the parking lot and he brought me to his car, we got in then he started driving somewhere.

When we got to the destination we were at a house, I looked at him unsure but he just smiled. "It's fine, my parents aren't home, they won't know we're here." I gave him another unsure look then nodded and got out of the car.

When we entered the house he brought me upstairs to his room, we sat on the bed and Jonah smiled at me. "Do you ever talk? Even just around your family?" Jonah asked quietly. I shook my head and looked down. "How long have you been mute?"

I typed on my phone then showed him. "Three years, wow, that's a long time," he said with a small laugh. His laugh has a small ring to it that can make you smile no matter what, he had a beautiful laugh. I smiled a little bit then looked up at him after typing something on my phone. "Will you ever treat me differently because of being mute?" Jonah read. "No, of course not, you're still a person just like me, but with a special twist." I smiled and nodded.

We kept a conversation going for another hour or so, I would write on my phone and Jonah would read it and reply. It was a lot of work, but we managed. "I'm really surprised you don't have a boyfriend," Jonah told me.

'Why?' I wrote.

"You're nice, funny, smart, cute," he said with a smile. I laughed then wrote something else on my phone.

'Nobody just wants to get to know me I guess, I'm just the girl who doesn't talk.'

"Yeah, and for a long time I thought the same, I thought there wasn't anything to you until I saw your painting in art. I knew there was a strong meaning behind it and I got some lonely vibes from it, and I knew you needed a friend," Jonah told me. I smiled then wrote 'thank you' on my phone. "Your welcome," Jonah replied with a smile.

It went quiet and we were both just staring into each other's eyes, it wasn't an awkward silence but it wasn't comfortable either. He started leaning in and I did too, and before I knew it I felt his soft lips connected to mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck gently and he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

When we pulled away I blushed with a smile and looked down. Jonah pulled my head up with his finger and placed a soft kiss on my lips. "Don't look away, I want to see your beautiful eyes," he whispered with a smile. I smiled back and blushed even more. "Will you be my girlfriend?" I nodded then hugged him tightly. We both fell to the bed laughing then we both fell asleep.

*about 2 months later*

Jonah and I are as happy as ever together, nobody stares at me like I'm a freak anymore, and everyone's actually really nice to me.

I sat down beside Jonah at the park, today is Saturday so we don't have any school. I leaned my head on his shoulder and smiled.

"I'll beat you to the swings," Jonah said quickly. Before I knew it we were both running to get to the swings, but what he didn't know is I ran track for 5 years. I easily beat him and sat on a swing to wait for him. "damn you're fast, how do you do it?" I wrote something on my phone then showed it to him. "You ran track? That's so not fair!" I giggled then he stood in front of me. He gently pressed his lips against mine and it turned into a passionate kiss.

When we pulled away we smiled at each other, I blushed then looked into his eyes.

"I l-love you J-Jonah," I said slowly. Jonah's eyes lit up and he picked me up off the swing and hugged me.

"I love you too princess," he replied. "Your voice is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard." I giggled then we pulled away from the hug. I gave him a quick kiss then we fell deep into each other's eyes.

Damn, this boy has me hooked.