Chapter 33 - Recovery

Start from the beginning

Many guests laugh at this. He takes out a pile of cue cards and flips through each, mumbling. "I'm afraid, John, I can't congratulate you," You look at Tom confused, he looked the same, Sherlock went on to say "All emotions, and in particular love, stand opposed to the pure, cold reason I hold above all things. A wedding is, in my considered opinion, nothing short of a celebration of all that is false and specious and irrational and sentimental in this ailing and morally compromised world," You get uncomfortable for John and Mary. "Today we honor the death-watch beetle that is the doom of our society and, in time – one feels certain – our entire species... But anyways let's talk about John,"

"Please," John mumbles.

"If I burden myself with a little help-mate during my adventures, it is not out of sentiment or caprice – it is that he has many fine qualities of his own that he has overlooked in his obsession with me," Lestrade laughs next to you "Indeed, any reputation I have for mental acuity and sharpness comes, in truth, from the extraordinary contrast John so selflessly provides. It is a fact, I believe, that brides tend to favor exceptionally plain bridesmaids for their big day. There is a certain analogy there, I feel... and contrast is, after all, God's own plan to enhance the beauty of his creation- or it would be if God were not a ludicrous fantasy designed to provide a career opportunity for the family idiot," You facepalm and sigh frustrated. "The point I'm trying to make is that I am the most unpleasant, rude, ignorant and all-round obnoxious arsehole that anyone could possibly have the misfortune to meet,"

"You got that right," Lestrade, Molly, and Tom laugh quietly at your remark.

"I am dismissive of the virtuous, unaware of the beautiful," He makes eye contact with you. "And uncomprehending in the face of the happy. So if I didn't understand I was being asked to be best man, it is because I never expected to be anybody's best friend, certainly not the best friend of the bravest and kindest and wisest human being I have ever had the good fortune of knowing- John, I am a ridiculous man," John nods. "Redeemed only by the warmth and constancy of your friendship. But, as I'm apparently your best friend, I cannot congratulate you on your choice of companion,"

"Well what a lovely moment it was when it lasted," you sigh, Tom chuckles. 

"Actually, now I can. Mary, when I say you deserve this man, it is the highest compliment of which I am capable of. John, you have endured war, and injury, and tragic loss... so sorry again about that last one..." You shake your head. "So know this: today you sit between the woman you have made your wife and the man you have saved – in short, the two people who love you most in all this world. And I know I speak for Mary as well when I say we will never let you down, and we have a lifetime ahead to prove that," You pick up your napkin and wipe the tears from your face, making sure your makeup didn't smudge. (Oh priorities) "Ah! Now onto some funny stories about John," Sherlock looks up to see the majority of the crowd was sniffling. "What's wrong? What happened? Why are you all doing that? John? Did I do it wrong?" He looks at his best friend for help. John just stands up and gives his best friend a big hug. The crowd is in awe at the moment. (And the author is tearing up) "Now onto some funny stories!"

"Can you wait till I sit down?" John chuckles, Sherlock 'Oh's'.

"If you could all just cheer up a bit, that would- be better. On we go. So, for funny stories... one has to look no further than John's blog!" The guests laugh. "The record of our time together. Of course, he does tend to romanticize things a bit, but then, you know... he's a romantic. We've tackled some strange cases: the Hollow Client..."

~~~

That sure was an eventful evening... Solved a murder, saved a man and arrested a killer... Also turns out Mary is pregnant... A little after the arrest, Tom had to leave to help Martha at the store. The cool wind flowed past you, music played in the background as you stared up at the moon. "Thanks for the invite,"

"Holy shi-" You cover your mouth and spin to the man behind you. "Seb!" He chuckles and drapes your coat on your shoulders. "How did you-?"

"You left it on the chair," You nod and continue to stare out. "As to why I'm here, I was looking for you,"

"Why? What do you need?" You look over at him, all he does is look behind you, you turn and see a man... who you thought you'd never see again... Jim fucking Moriarty. Your jaw drops to the floor, your blood boils, tears start to form. You run at him and wrap your arms around him. Jim chuckles at your reaction and ends the hug.

"Miss me?" Twice, across his face, you slapped him. Little deja vu if you ask me. "I deserve that," pebbles rustle and out comes a familiar silhouette. "Looks like our time is up," He slips away leaving you feeling cold.

"Y/n?" Sherlock stops behind you.

"Hi," You wipe the tears from your face and give him a fake smile.

"Now, I'm not an idiot like Anderson, what's wrong," You shake your head.

"Nothing," You walk off towards the road to catch a cab, Sherlock famously flips up his collar and looks at the bundle of bushes where Moriarty had slipped into. Hopefully, his Westwood didn't get damaged. Sherlock dismisses the thought and catches up with you to Baker Street.