Chapter 14

"Good morning sleeping beauty." my brother greeted. "Why you up early? You don't have school."

"I think my body is still adopting the changes. " I answered taking my head off the counter so that I could look at him.

"Are you okay Mara. "he asked coming close to me so that he could touch my face.

"Yeah. Why? " l answered hitting his hand off my face.

"Your nose is super red. And you look so oily. "

"Am okay. It could be the summer hit. " l said looking outside through the kitchen window.

"If your not okay. Tell me. I won't go to school I'll stay ."

"Am okay. Is this your way of wanting to ditch school?" l asked laughing.

My brother is the last person l could lie to. He knows am not okay. And he won't press on it. Since he knows later on I'll tell him. But this time his wrong. Am not willing to admit am gay and a girl just refused my first proposal ever.

"Okay. I love you. Please if you need anything just call me I'll be here in seconds."  With that he kissed my forehead and left.

Not feeling the vibe of eating anymore l go outside. The back yard. It's been long since l came here. I avoid it all the time. The smell of freshly watered flowers relaxed my body.

Sitting down on my swing. I take my pencil and start drawing. Soft music playing on my phone.

"It's been long since l saw you here. Something wrong? " my dad asked.

"Good morning. No..nothing at all. Just needed the fresh air. "

"Come here. " he called gesturing l sit next to him on the other larger swing sit.

Sitting comfortably and snuggling in his arm he gently rubs my hair.

"Your hair was very long back then. "
He said softly. "And you were really tiny the last time we sat here. "

"Yeah. I was 10." l said.

"You only came out here when something was disturbing you. "

For as much as we've been distant he always had this soft comforting aura. Even after all this years l feel like it was just yesterday he was holding me like this.

Isn't it funny. The last time l was here it was because of a girl. And now again.

"Everything that happens. It's always for a reason. Be it good or bad. Whatever that is bothering you. Give it time. You'll figure it out. " he said softly.

After a few minutes of silence. He spoke up again.

"Am sorry. I wish l could stay here with you all day. I have to go to work. Plus l think you need some alone time. If you need anything dear. Just call. " he kissed my hair." l love you. "

Just nodding l sit straight up and look into the sky. It was all clear. I should go for a walk.

Sitting down in sorrow is the worst medication for a broken heart. Saying goodbye to my parents as they left l locked the house and headed down the streets.

The smell of freshly baked foods watered my mouth. I hadn't taken breakfast. Getting in one of my favorite baker's inn.

"Chocolate cake please with a cup of coffee...with cream. "

"Okay. Have a sit. "

People seem busy walking in and out of the inn. While others hurried down the streets to work. It was still morning hours. So it explained the luck of teenagers sitting around aimlessly.

"Thank you Lisa. " Yes. I know her. She's served me ever since l learnt of this place.

"Anytime. "

*ring *

"Hello alien. Where's your ass. The house is locked."

"Good morning to you too. Am at the baker's inn. "

"This early. Had you really missed Lisa this much.?"

"Actually yes. Why don't you come. "

"I didn't need your permission asshole. Omw."

Getting another order since l knew her favorite. In less than five minutes. I saw her car pull up. That was fast. And those are four people not one.

"Hey home girl. "

"Hey." l greeted all at once.

"So. We we're headed to the beach. And needed your company. " Angel said.

"I think l can pretty much tell where your going. Let's pass by my house so that l can change?"

"No need you look okay. And thanks l loved the coffee. "

After paying. I let her drag me to the car. Taking my sit at the front l switched off my phone. I don't need my mum calling me after every five minutes.

She rarely calls but whenever they think am sick it's a different kind of story.

The sun was fully out. The sand warm enough and the water cold. I don't swim much. Once in rare occasions.

Thinking of rare occasions my birthday is next week. Two days before I leave for school.

Yes. I decided to go early. I was to stay till summer ended but l can't bare the pain of being in the same environment with someone I think of 24/7 and l can't talk to them.

It's been a week since the dance and Dime tried calling a few times. Seeing that l wasn't picking she stopped. And now l wish I picked her calls. I've missed her. I feel so bad every day. I tried crying but am way passed that.

"Mara. Could you take a picture of me?" Angel asked.

"Sure." Am used to this. I've taken tons of pictures of her.

"Thank you. It looks great. The sun makes my skin glow. "

"Anytime. "

Watching them swim and taking pictures of them took me off my mind. I hadn't even realised it was noon already.

"Hey. " Taking my eyes off the group l looked at this one person l wished so many times l saw them. And also wished I never did.

god! l had missed those eyes. That soft voice. Fuck. Everything. Now am all emotional. What did she have that I didn't. Seeing as I was not responding she continued.

"I've been looking for you. "

"Why? " stupid. Wrong question.

"I needed to talk to you ."

"Really. What about? "

"Um... Mmm...am leaving. "

Really. This not fair. I wanted her around so that even thou l couldn't have her, l could watch her from a far. I love her. And my heart wouldn't be letting go soon.

"Why? Where you going? "

"Back to Chicago. "