Chapter 6

School gets boring at some point. If only l could do whatever l wanted. Not feeling the vibe today l decide to dress weirdly. Normally l'd dress casually or officially.

I pick a grey shirt and some blue shorts. To finish the look l wear black sandals. 'Now am feeling better.' I say to myself smiling while looking through the mirror.

Picking my sling bag l go downstairs. Prepared for all the weird looks l was going to get through the entire breakfast.

"Morning sunshine." My brother is the first one to greet me. As if there is a competition.

"Morning dear." My dad always says dear. At some point it becomes irritating. But l'd never trade him for anything.

Seriously without him I would be dead by now. My mum is a wicked witch. I don't think l would have survived in her hands.

"Why the weird look on your face. You don't want breakfast?" My mum asked.

"Good morning. " I don't want to argue with her right now.

"Good morning  Tamara," said she," you know am starting to think your more of going to bring a wife home rather than a husband. " 

"Kris are you ready? Am all packed up." Now l don't want breakfast at all. She always tries to bring this topic and everytime l ignore her.

"Let's go." He knows better.

Picking an apple l say goodbye then leave immediately before asked another weird question.

Thinking l had escaped the claws of a lion. My brother always takes advantage of opportunities.

"So are you planning on tell them that your a lesbian?" He asked smirking.

"What makes you think l fancy girls and not boys ?" I asked. Trying as much to avoid more questions.

"Am your brother sleeping beauty. I know you more than anyone. Plus l've been with you long enough to know what you like and that you dislike."

"Will arrive late at school. I don't want detention." With that l look everywhere around but him.

I don't think l want to tell anyone for now. I know it's lame but am not yet comfortable. I'll just know when.

~~~~

"So are you going to knock or stand there all evening?" My brother shouted from the car.

He was such a dick. I will surely payback. Someday.

Looking at the huge fancy door l start collecting my words. I need to get this done in the right way. Glancing one more time at my brother l ring the doorbell.

Please don't open. Please open. Please don't. Please do. I kept saying to myself.

Woosh! The door flungs open. An irritated small girl opens the door while cursing.

"Dime seriously. I hate your fucking lazy ass!"

Did l come at the wrong time? What am l going to say? Just relax. It's just a little girl.

"Um....am sorry to disturb you. Is your sister around?"

"Which one. Be more specific?" She hisses.

Okay l may have underestimated her. She is rude for an eight year old. Come to think of it l don't even know her name.

"Umm..... this is weird but l don't know her name except she has grey hair."

At least l remember her hair colour. I was really rude. I didn't even ask her, her name?

"Dime. Someone's here to see you." She shouted as she walked away and up the stairs she disappeared.

Oh! Dime. That's a pretty fancy name. I thought. Way better than Tamara. My name is soo girlish. I think of changing it all the time.

"Sorry. I wasn't expecting to see you ever again. Did l take long?"

I was brought back to earth with the most beautiful voice l've ever heard. She was so careful with her words. It's as if l was something so brittle. She didn't wanna break me.

"Umm...ur...No!"

Fuck l knew l was going to do something stupid. I was nervous as hell. My palms were already sweating.

I must have made some disgusting look because she finally asked.

"Did l do something wrong or is something wrong."

"No! You did nothing wrong. Am just lurking words. " l answered back quickly.

"Why. I speak English, Spanish and also a bit of French."

I smiled at her. She didn't get my point correctly. Actually at all. Since she had this confused look.

"Oh. Am from Africa actually. Do you speak Swahili?"

"Hah! Not at all."  She smiled.

This made me feel weird. It was a new feeling. Like l had butterflies in my stomach. Swallowing hard l smile back and turn to face my brother.

What the hell! What time did he go. I didn't even hear him leave. Jack.

"Oh! Sorry for my ill behaviour. Please come in."

"It's okay." Was all l said as l got in.

This must be a rich household. There furniture was soo fancy and most things looked custom made. Since l could spot Dime's name around.  I must have been soo caught up in the beautiful surroundings l didn't hear Dime's request to bring me something to drink.

Because she brought lemonade.

"Thank you. Um....l....." Why was it difficult for me to speak all of a sudden.

"Your welcome... your not comfortable?"

"No. I mean Yes am comfortable. I just came to pick my phone. I believe you have it."

"Oh! Yeah. I totally forgot. " her face looking a bit disappointed .