Chapter 33: Elemental Powers

JACK

Practice makes everything perfect. Perfect takes patience. Patience builds virtue. Virtue is worth time. But what would you do, if you don't have time? Would it be a domino effect and topple your practice or would it do the opposite and make you driven? It's often the case with tons of people, yet they are seen as determined, stubborn, and career-oriented. Sometimes, those who do work with patience are disapproved of. It all makes one think that life is never just six or nine. You could be looking at the same number, just from a different side. It does make it inevitable for differences to be born which may end up as a source of both, positivity and negativity but it shouldn't be forgotten that with the absence of yin there cannot be any yang. Without darkness, there cannot be any light; without usual, no extra ordinary, and without differences, no unity.

*'*'*

"Here, have this." Addison passed a small juice box to Gabriella and another to Ethan, who had piped in from the passenger seat, saying that he wanted one as well. It had been around three hours since we had been on the road and every time we asked how long it would take, Rose simply replied with 'soon'. We had taken no breaks from the travel and Rose kept insisting on letting no one else drive so we distributed the different foods we had packed and had, somewhat, a meal together.

It had been around two more hours later that we arrived at the place and during the whole journey the tension never left the van. It wasn't exhausting but it was definitely suffocating. I knew it took everyone's will power not to touch any sensitive subject because the travel seemed to be a way of avoiding it all. It felt as though we were going on a suicide mission where every person wanted the other to go back home but none of us was willing to back down. It may not have been the final battle yet; but that didn't mean it wasn't around the corner.

"Well I'm beat! I'm going to go crash for a while and then do some Kung Fu." Picking up his bag, Charles said with a karate motion and went inside the building, shouting for Rose to show him his room. It was his attempt to ease everyone however little it affected. Gabriella followed him suit and so did Rose.

"I suppose we should get some rest before we get to the real work." Mrs. Knight suggested to the newly transformed Rigil who was actually an old lady but seemed to have it hidden ever since we met her.

I found Addison with my mother, silently walking in with their bags and followed them inside. I did overhear Mason asking Azura if she was coming but she dismissed him. "Go on, I'll be right there." She said and thinking of giving her some time alone I didn't bother to stay behind.

Luckily, the building was quite extravagant for every one of us to have a room of our own but obviously that didn't happen because many rooms were locked. When I reached mine on the second floor —just below the roof— it had walls of cream color with a rich brown touch to the ceiling corners along with cream tiles attached to the floor. It definitely gave the room a luxurious look as a ceiling fan hung from the center and right over the bed. There were decorative patterns around it which made me hypnotic. The bedside drawers had golden lamps atop each and a switch near them which almost hid behind the headboard. The bed itself had dark brown corners and in between had soft cream colored velvet attached on the headboard with crystal buttons stitched on it, complementing the room itself.

Someone had carefully designed it and had been successful at their job because after the constant travel I felt like a peasant who had been bestowed this blessing in a form of a room. Could I really rest and sleep here as long as spring break lasted? It felt like a good dream but a growl interrupted it. I searched for the source of the sound and found myself looking at a balcony attached to the room which separated it by a glass door and creamy curtain. I slid it open and bright daylight shined in the room making it glow in lavishness. In awe, I walked out the balcony as a breeze hit me and I welcomed it by taking a deep breath. However, my gaze soon found itself on the figure who flayed around the ground we just came in from. The long ruffling brown hair belonging to the honey brown skin of Azura had been rustling by sudden jolts as she constantly growled and grunted at the wind. She kept thrusting out her arms with palm facing outwards. Soon, I realized that she was trying to conjure her elemental power and out of the blue amusement found its way inside me.