Chapter 22: The Truth

JACK

It should be realized that age doesn't define you. The number of years you've spent on earth never gives the right for others to judge you just because they've spent more. Instead of disregard there should be guidance. Because who's to say that they learned the lesson they were supposed to? Who's to say that they found the sole purpose of their life and you didn't? Who's to say that your experience falls short in front of what they learned in their years? Who's to say they experienced anything at all?

*'*'*

They were surprised when I declared my decision. I ignored them but it irked me too much. Yet a lying body on the bed in front of me helped me know, that it was nothing compared to what she was suffering.

But what if we were too late? What if she was beyond saving? What if she didn't want to wake up? Those thoughts invaded my mind and I looked up hoping to find assistance, and looking at all the people standing here now, ready to bring back Azura, no matter the risk, gave me hope.

She would come back. She had to come back.

"I want all of you to join your hands. And the both of you," Rigil pointed at me and Mason, as we stood on adjacent sides, "take one hand of Azura in yours." She said all the while surprising us. We gazed at each other's faces as we tried to make sense of what we were doing but every face was as stunned as the one before. Of course, mine was too.

"Are we going to speak some spooky language or something?" Addison asked which somehow melted some of the edginess but I couldn't miss the gritting of teeth of Mason.

He turned his neck towards where Addison stood and spoke with his cold, hoarse voice. "We get it, Addison." He drawled as a frown formed on my face. "It's a joke to you but please, shut up."

Anger boiled in my veins to see him speaking to her like that. "Hey!" I commanded as he turned his attention towards me, hearing my warning with just one word and challenged me with his stare. There was this tugging emptiness in his eyes as his nostrils flared and for a moment, I wondered if he would really go as far as a brawl right now. He was grieving, I knew that; it didn't give him the right to thrash and throw a tantrum at every moment.

"Control yourself." Growling, I gripped Azura's hand mocking him as he eyed it with furious eyes. My other hand was held by Rose who, for some reason, seemed to be avoiding Mason.

"I will, if you'll put a leash on your sister." He snarled back. It broke my demeanor as I felt Azura's hand slip back on the bed and was about to walk over him to at least give him a darned punch—

"Back off, both of you!" Yelled Rose, loud enough for me to come to a halt as I noticed how her tight grip made our hands tremble and decided it wasn't worth delaying Azura for his petty behavior.

"Mason, if you can't handle anything then I strongly suggest you say so now because we don't need your idea of opposing everything get in the middle of saving Azura. So please, speak now or SHUT UP!" Her voice shrilled as both, Mason and I, recoiled and others jumped. Maybe even Rigil was startled.

I saw Mason suck in a deep breath as he gently held Azura's hand; the air had filled with tension but along with it there was warmth that radiated from every person standing in this room. I knew Addison never really was a friend of hers yet her presence reminded me that this was as familiar to her as it was for me because Rena was her sister too, she couldn't help then but now she had a chance.

"Well, if your frenzy is finished, we may proceed." Rigil said before clearing her throat and continued.

"Close your eyes all of you and listen to my voice. Clear out every thought that is tugging your mind and when you do, just think of Azura. Just her." She instructed and we all obediently did so, Mason a little reluctantly.