Chapter 24: Tale Of Descendants

AZURA

Sometimes, it gets really hard to reach a person and understand them. Other times, you know exactly what to say so that they get you. In between all that, there comes a time when you know what to do, yet you back off. It's one of those complex times where you hesitate to give the honest answer because you know how wrong it really is.

*'*'*

"Please say that you have a better explanation?" I cried. "Please say that there is more to the story that even Rigil doesn't know." I sobbed uncontrollably.

Rigil had dropped this bomb on me that it was Jack who manipulated my parents into destruction and I wanted to know more but Rigil wouldn't tell me anything more. But when Jack arrived in the room, with Rose in tow, his distraught expression after looking at my face told me that he indeed was the reason for what happened between my parents. And my first words to him then were the questions of disbelief and hope that maybe he couldn't be cruel enough to do this.

I knew that he wasn't in control and he was forced to let it control him but why would he choose this when he knew what would happen? Why would he decide a fate so cruel on people he didn't even know about? Did he really turn a blind eye to it or was he kept in the dark? I needed to know he didn't do it because as short as our encounter had been, he had become dear to me. And I didn't want to believe that I was foolish enough to place trust in a person who didn't care about what happens to anyone else.

"Please Jack." I croaked with a tremor knowing that Rigil and Rose watched us meanwhile Jack stood rigid not saying anything; maybe not even breathing. Taking his silence as the horrible answer I hung my head, unable to look at him anymore. Maybe I really was foolish—

"What have you told her?" Finally hearing his voice, I raised my head back up to see Jack looking at Rigil as her red eyes glared back at him. His tone didn't hold any anger or irritation but despair, and so did his eyes.

"Only a pinch and look at her. I didn't have it in me to tell her everything. I only told her about your possession." She spat as Jack shut his eyes, swallowing. When he opened them again, there was determination with despair as they darted back and forth on the ground. I frowned. Everything else about him seemed blank. As if he had gone numb and didn't have the power over his feelings, as if he couldn't feel anything. But only his eyes broke the law.

"I don't have an explanation over what happened, over my actions. But I need you to know what really happened before you decide what to do with me. I owe you that." He finally met my gaze and it made me shudder over the shattered look he held. Rose by now had her arms crossed against her chest as she quietly watched the exchange. Then she slowly led herself towards the chair on the side of my bed, opposite Rigil.

I could sense her seething underneath her calm demeanor as she attempted to kill Jack with her eyes. She had caught up on the situation even if she didn't know the details. It was clear to me. Maybe some other person would've ignored it, but I could always observe her little changes.

"I just... I just don't know where to start." Jack sighed wearily following Rose with his gaze. He didn't move ever since he stepped in the room and it seemed that he wouldn't anytime soon as well. He was afraid to approach any one of us. It made my stomach drop even more.

"How about you start from the beginning?" Rose sternly said with her voice spewing daggers which made Jack flinch, although he didn't clearly make it noticeable.

"Okay." He meekly replied and closed his eyes again, maybe to find words to start his side of the story and when he opened them, his sight was distant. "Around four years ago, a mark was inflicted upon me and both my sisters. It was sudden, and there seemed to be nothing of source that could've done it but there it was, on our arms—" He started only to be interrupted by Rose again.