Chapter 20: The Past And The Present

JACK

To underestimate a mind just because your thoughts differ from them is the most common way to dismiss its creativity. And in some rare cases, it leads to destruction right under your nose because when you do find out about it, it's probably too late.

*'*'*

I knew what it was about. I knew it would catch up eventually but I never knew the damage it would cause. We were just kids back then. I never knew the fierceness she would build in herself over the burning incident. And on top of that, I was supposed to be the protector like my elders but I never lived up to that job, did I?

No, you didn't. My subconscious interrupted as I grunted. First my sister and now Azura... it felt like everyone I cared about always ended up in this phase. I knew my sister never got out of it and I was afraid Azura wouldn't as well.

After my little argument with Rose, I took my time in getting back to where everyone was standing. I refused to meet anyone's eyes but somehow the holes burning in my head were obvious because clearly Rose was still fuming.

The hustle and bustle over Azura's body reaction was finally calm but the doctor still wasn't allowing any visitors. Meanwhile, I had this invisible pull or maybe this sudden but extreme urge to spill out the tragic story and the similarities between the past I had once already lived and, if things went the same, would go through over again. It had me shaken and jittery to watch it unfold idly and being powerless in its face.

But you're not powerless, are you? I was interjected with a whole new cold splash of reality.

I could wake her up, but that would be extremely dangerous.

That didn't stop you when it came to Rena. I clenched my jaw at the truth which haunted me to this day.

-

4 years ago

"Jack! Hey, wait up!" Rena screamed from the top of her lungs as she followed me in the corridor of our school. Being the triplets of our year and in the same grade, it was natural for us to hang out with each other but these days Rena had kept me way too occupied by her façade of the whole burned marks on our arms that miraculously appeared.

Yes it was very weird which was why I didn't really talk about this to anyone but Rena had blurted it to our whole class because she found this to be whole lot mysterious and fascinating. Addison however was quiet about it even when everyone knew by now. She brushed it off by saying how it seemed like an allergy on her skin but knowing my sister, she too was freaked out about this.

"Yeah, what's up?" I asked raising my eyebrows hoping my voice didn't hint the agitation over whatever she was about to tell me. Don't get me wrong, she was my sister and I loved her a lot, but right now she seemed too attached to this thing which was getting on my nerves. Why wouldn't she just let it go?

I stretched my lips into a smile so she wouldn't get the hint but I knew from the way she looked at me that she caught on it. I saw how a slight frown settled on her head while the light in her eyes dimmed as she started to stammer over what she found recently.

"I... I found this today on the internet." She grimly handed me some printed pictures.

"What is this? Is it a...?" The images were of a similar mark as the one on our arms, but this one wasn't a burn. It was as if something out of the galaxy. Like it was a planet, or maybe a blue sun—

"Star. This is an actual representation of the stars in the galaxy." Rena quietly muttered as if mocking me for not knowing what it was. I furrowed my eyebrows at her. What was with the attitude?