Chapter 26: It Couldn't Be

AZURA

Repeating things always lose their meanings. Repeat a joke a number of times and you won't laugh at it anymore. Repeat watching a movie and you'll grow out of it. Repeat eating a dish and it'll be a great time later that you crave for it again. Even your expressions lose their meaning when repeated often. But who's to say that when you are repeatedly thrown into a grim situation, you get used to it? Who's to say that you know the solution just because it has happened before? Who's to say that the damages aren't caused anymore?

*'*'*

All the breath had been knocked out of me when I heard Addison say those words. My ears had started ringing and my mind was going numb. A harsh chill went down my spine as cold enveloped me standing in the night. Something stirred in my stomach as the party went on without stopping to take notice of what was happening. No one cared yet this girl in front of me cried because both our brothers were threatened to be killed.

Watching a lot of movies, it may seem bearable. That we would team up, then fight the bad guy, save ourselves, and go on with our lives. But the mere thought of losing my brother, over something I tried very hard for him not to get involved, contracted my lungs. It wasn't supposed to be this way. I took the burden from Max and I should've been the one be in his position. He wasn't supposed to be there. He wasn't supposed to be the one threatened for murder. We deserved a chance at normal life before things went spiraling out of control. I deserved to have one night of peace after the torment I tolerated in weeks. I deserved my moments of happiness.

But my happiness was a betrayal. My happiness was a fake. It was straying and I fell for its distractions. That betrayal was coming back to haunt me in the shape of my brother's danger. I shouldn't have forgotten Max. I should've looked for him. I betrayed him and now he was paying the price.

The thought of deluding from my brother made me run towards the corridors of the school to find a bathroom so I could puke my guts out. I heard footsteps behind me, multiple footsteps. Knowing they were my friends, I didn't look back and kept vomiting. One set of hands pushed my hair back from my face and another pair rubbed my back. I could hear Gabriella repeatedly whispering 'oh my god' around me and I knew she mustn't have liked the sight.

The force that made my lunch come out of my stomach lessened as I took deep breaths. Now I could hear the thumps of another set of feet outside the bathroom. I didn't want to guess who it was yet I already knew who it was going to be. My eyes were shut as my whole body shook and perspired and I prayed that I wouldn't catch something in a situation like this. My brother was in danger. I had to go to him.

I got up as the hands gripping my hair caught my shoulders and the hands rubbing my back settled on my waist. I tried to pry them off from me but they were only tightening.

"No, Azura, wait. You're not stable." I heard Rose's voice from my side and instantly knew that she was one of the pair that was holding me up.

"I-I have to go... Max is in danger." I croaked out trying to open my drowsy eyes to make contact with Rose but they were too heavy for me to control. My mind felt like a spinning top as I struggled to stand straight. It felt like I was falling in every way.

"She's right. She has to go to Max and Jack. The only other place she could be right now is maybe the hospital." I heard another feminine voice that didn't belong to Rose or Gabriella and the boys had pretty deep voice to get counted as feminine.

"Back off, Addison. I know what you're trying here. I have a feeling Max is leverage to get Azura to help your, oh so precious, brother." I could feel the venom dripping off Rose's tongue. She was being way too harsh and it was blinding her from seeing what was happening or what was at stake.