Chapter 25: Recurring

AZURA

Happiness is a choice. It isn't decided for you and it's no treasure at the end of a hunt. It's a decision you make for yourself. Whether you see it or not, whether you hesitate taking the steps towards it or not, it is always a choice. You just need to be stubborn enough to snatch it for yourself from your life. Otherwise, you keep wishing, you keep wondering, you keep thinking and regretting your actions, your ways or whatever leads you to where you are now. If you're happy, be thankful for it and if you're not then get up and search for it. You have the choice to choose your happiness; you just have to will for it.
Maybe it comes with a price. Maybe your selfishness for ups is punished by downs. Maybe your happiness is a betrayal to the world which gives you twice as much hell in return. But maybe without hell, you won't value your happiness as much.

*'*'*

It felt like a whirlwind to go through the night after Jack left. When I woke up next morning I realized that I didn't know when I had fallen asleep but I remembered crying like a maniac. It wasn't easy to swallow the giant pill dropped like a bomb on me last night. Even when I knew it wasn't entirely my fault, I couldn't stop feeling like I was the one to blame. I didn't like being important and main in this story.

Rigil had left when she registered I wasn't going to stop my tears anytime soon but Rose stayed put and shed a few drops herself. Judging by the weird angle of her head on my bed and dried patches of tears on her face, I realized that maybe even Rose fell asleep without knowing.

Last night could be counted as hard but the harder part was today. Facing the daylight and the world with the responsibility of somewhat saving it was hard. Getting through today with the hopes that nothing would go wrong, looking over my shoulder every time I'd be alone or even when I wasn't was the harder part.

I was going to get discharged today. As soon as Rose woke up, she checked on me and was out talking to the doctor over the details and medications meanwhile Mason had arrived and was feeding me that horrible hospital porridge which I loathed wholeheartedly. Rose had told me about their fight. About what Mason held against Jack even when he didn't know the truth; somehow he was right. We didn't really tell him that though it made me suspicious over Mason but I shook it off realizing how stupid it was of me to think like that for a friend I knew ever since I was little.

"It's the last time you'll eat this, I promise." Mason said cheekily, moving the spoon like an airplane and then in my mouth which was tightly shut.

"Yeah, like you could change the meal here. You know I'm getting out today so stop boasting me with your promises—" I was interrupted with a metal spoon shoving in my mouth as Mason hollered. His childishness over this made me want to say incoherent and inappropriate words but the hearty laugh made me swallow the hideous bite and smack him hard.

"Man you've gotten stronger than before. We need you to get off this porridge as soon as possible." He laughed and stood up, taking the tray and sliding the wheel table from the bed and strolled out of the room just as Rose walked in. They said 'hey' to each other and walked past. There was still awkwardness lingering around them but I believed that they would come around each other. I mean, you just couldn't stay mad at Rose. I've had experienced it enough to say that.

"Did you eat?" She asked raising her eyebrows to which I pulled a face.

"More like shoved it inside me." I replied and she smirked.

"Well good for you then because in around an hour or two, you'll be out and about."

"Why so long?"

"Paperwork stuff."

A heavy silence had settled in the room as Rose seated herself beside me. We both hadn't mentioned what happened last night, not even a word. There was no particular reason for this but I assumed we both wanted to forget what had happened and I wouldn't blame Rose if she didn't want to talk about it at all. I had noticed that Rose had grown closer to Jack and they had become pretty good friends along the time I was asleep so I knew it was hard for her as well.