Chapter 12: Little Thing

AZURA

With the evolving of the world, nothing remains authentic. There are rarities of truths and still an act of surprise on uncovering a con. There are millions of same things repeating over and over again just in a different manner and the dissimilar things are being pointed at and being discouraged. What seems to be isn't what is and vice versa. Understanding is losing its meaning and temporary emotions are being held with pride. In between all this there are those who cling to the old ways, hoping for the world to return to its candidacy. For some lucky ones, they get what they ask for and the rest wither away in hope.

*'*'*

"I don't know. We can just sit at her table? The warden said it's time for lunch at this hour." Mason croaked, shrugging. He was in a bundle of nerves and jumpy over meeting his mother.

"Look, don't worry. We're right here with you. Whatever happens, we've got your back okay?" Max tried to lighten him up but he just shrugged again. "It's not the meeting I'm worried about. I just don't want her to scratch off your faces just because she doesn't know who you are." He gave a wry smile as both Max and I gasped at his insensitivity.

However it was very hard to judge him over it because there wasn't much exaggeration in his concern. Growing up with a mother suffering from schizoaffective disorder had hardened Mason from many emotions. He had to spend all of his childhood with his aunt who lived here in Salvus, while his parents were in another town, just to avoid contact with Ashley Bronze, Mason's biological mother. She used to call herself a psychic and it often justified her behavior. Although, soon after she had had a great number of hallucinations that reached to such an extent that she tried to hurt baby Mason. Luckily Mason's dad, Lucas, stepped in. Thankfully he took action before there was damage done beyond repair and checked his wife into an asylum.

After that he had remarried, giving out the public statement that he was doing this for all those marriages that suffered from conditions like his own. It made for a strong boost for his campaign and his second wife was one from his team as well. Miss Abigail was picture perfect at first, but then with time her façade broke and she became too obsessed with the power equal to what Mr. Smith had.

She wasn't hostile to Mason—she even loved him like her own son since she couldn't have kids of her own—but soon after she tried hard to take up positions with high powers that were above her qualifications but Mr. Smith wouldn't budge. He said it was because 'it wasn't going to be good for his image' and he didn't want to have enemies just because he gave extreme power to people close to him. For Abigail it was undermining because she was trying and getting better and better but her husband was too focused on the image to recognize talent. It resulted in everyday destruction that kept burning the Smith household. At one point he was right but according to Abigail it was for her own security since if Lucas could check his beloved into a facility, he could do the same to her as well.

Poor Mason first had to suffer from the impacts of his birth mother and then of the parents he grew up having. There were times when Ashley would get caught for stalking Mason but after much investigation it was clear that she only wanted to know more about her son. It was why Mason had asked me and Max to officially meet Ashley.

"Well, if she does try that, I'll just flip the table and then we can hide behind it. Now come on, let's go." I said grabbing Mason's arm and dragging him to the open air asylum's cafeteria where there were multiple patients wearing white scrubs with black polka dots on them. Many sat alone on a table and played scrabbles or chess or cards on their own. Many sat in pairs and ate lunch together while many stared off into the distance without a thought of their surroundings and then there were those who were either talking to themselves or acting abnormally.