Chapter 6: Déjà Vu

AZURA

The situations could be similar, but the reactions never are. How one copes with the given circumstances always differ from person to person. One could end up with their emotions all over the place and the other would keep it all inside. It's never on purpose. It's just how each persona works.
Dealing with those personalities also need to be separate. The way you help an expressive person cannot work on another who turns out to be the opposite. And just because they are quiet, doesn't mean that they can't be aided. Every person is different and unique. Helping them should be diverse as well.

*'*'*

"Mason, come on. Join us at the party, please." I pleaded with Mason. As expected, he declined to go with us and I was afraid he might hurt himself again or just sit wallowing. I knew it because I had been there. So I decided to not give him space and drag him along with me. I'd rather not let his mind wander somewhere when he was alone. He deserved to have some fun. And the party just might take his mind off of the stuff he's been going through.

"Look Azura. I appreciate your concern and welcoming heart, but I've told you before and I'll tell you again, I will not hurt myself. So please, leave me here. I don't want to go." He said in a matter of fact way. With both his eyebrows raised, eyes lifeless, face emotionless and his hands intertwined, he sat on the couch leaning back. It looked like he was lying on the little width of the couch.

It was a heart wrenching sight, as I sat on the love seat beside it, so I took my chances— "And I believe you, but I can't leave you alone. I know how I should respect your request for space but I can't do that. I'm sorry. And before you lash out on me, you can be here anytime you'd like but for that you have to go to the party I worked my butt for. Please come with me." I begged hoping he would listen.

But he didn't.

"Fine, I guess I'll just go home." He stood up from his couch and walked over to the door. Just as he put his hand on the door handle, I grabbed his leather jacketed arm, stopping him.

"You know, I didn't mean that." I said quietly, clenching my jaw at my failure. "You're welcome here, anytime; whether it's seven in the evening or three in the morning." I continued, hope still lingering inside me.

"I understand, Azura. Thank you for it but I just don't want to go. Please, let me be." He whispered softly, turning around to face me. I caught on the tired look in his eyes and immediately felt horrible for not understanding his condition. It was probably best to leave him alone and to let him rest.

I nodded grimly and pulled my hand off his arm. He walked over the sofa and lolled on it curling a little. I gently put a hand on his hair, sitting on the coffee table in front of the couch. A small smile played on my lips as he relaxed a little.

"If you need anything, anything at all, I'm one phone call away, okay?" I whispered softly as he nodded in response. Sighing to myself I got up and went to my room to get ready. The old book I found on the sidewalk sat on the queen sized bed, right in the middle of my room, along with other book guides that I used so I could help Rose with her assignment. She had completed it in about half an hour or two. She excelled at creative writing as well. We often exchanged stories and pretended to be critiques so that we could thrive. It was an affective practice to better our writings. Now Rose was at her house dressing up.

I slumped on my bed, taking the old book in my hand. Looking at the time, I saw I had enough amount of time to get ready so I could definitely spare a minute or two to figure something out about it. But could I really snoop in on what was not my property? What if it was personal? I couldn't bring myself to read it. I would just return it back to that old lady. How I'd accomplish that, could be thought about later.