Chapter 32: The Grandmother

AZURA

Being ordinary doesn't mean that a person is powerless; just like having an ability does not equal being powerful. One could have all the facilities and capabilities of the world and yet they'd be the loneliest being, proving that there is more to happiness than materialism.
Since with great power comes great responsibility, being ordinary has the most comfort and ease than not. However it doesn't mean that one can't be unique. Matchlessness is the inevitable trait of human beings. Instead of questioning that, it's something to be proud of.

*'*'*

"I know it isn't the right time but can I please ask how in the world could I be your granddaughter?" Directing the question at Rigil, Rose piped up and came next to me as I realized how absurd it seemed. Rigil wasn't an old lady; she was almost the exact same age as Rose and then all of the sudden dropping the bomb of being a grandmother at such a young age was next to impossible. It was common sense, but Rigil simply shook her head.

"Now isn't the time for stories! We have bigger matters to handle, like deciding a place to practice your powers away from prying eyes which is wide enough to make sure no one gets hurt." She shushed Rose. Come to think of it, she did act like a grandma. She was definitely strict like one.

"Well, grandmother, my real grandparents own a farm not long from here. I think according to the requirements, it could be suitable." Rose huffed and went into the kitchen. Ethan got up and followed her knowing she was upset. It didn't take any genius to figure out how disturbing it would be to learn how your identity is entirely different than what you've known for whole of your life.

"Is it true?" Rigil asked seemingly dazed at the situation. She kept staring after Rose with a bewildered expression. I knew that it was a sensitive subject for her since her grandmother had an Intermittent Explosive Disorder. I had known that she often had episodes and would kick her husband out of the house before blacking out and forgetting all about it. It had been going on since she was quite young yet she was one of the kindest one could meet. However, her disease had been difficult to handle. To top it off, Rose was adopted. Her biological parents were practically non-existent and the sudden spring of blood made her feel disoriented. She didn't know what to think about the situation without feeling out of place. At least that's what I thought, maybe because I felt the same when I got to know about it all. And I still knew very little.

"You could be a tad bit less insensitive, you know." Mrs. Lennon said as she shook her head at Rigil's attempt to brush the topic off.

"I'm trying. But I can't turn a blind eye to what's important too." She replied, annoyed. My eyes lingered on Rigil and for a moment I felt compelled to snap at her but then this numbness followed which made my words pour out quite differently.

"You're not wrong. And yes, the place Rose mentioned is convenient. Luckily it has a place for us to cram together too so I suggest we pack up and leave first thing tomorrow morning." My hard voice sounded and made no room for argument. I nodded my head, gesturing dismissal at the faces that kept staring at me when a clearing of throat caught my attention.

"Since you've figured out a spring break road trip for your star people, what about us?" Mason tilted his head at me with challenge in his eyes. Envy dripped off of him as he crossed his arms against his chest, ready to attack verbally at any statement which questioned his actions. It definitely stung to hear those words and I could only imagine how he might be feeling, seeing the way he was seething. But he wasn't the only one; Jack seemed ticked off at Mason's demand too. I thought a brawl would break out where I'd be the first one to step in to break off the fight in case it got out of hand, but that didn't happen. So I simply crossed my arms, mimicking Mason's actions, and stood up to my full height feeling an eerie calm surrounding me. I knew I was the cause of it and for some reason it made me feel powerful.