Chapter 19: Rena.

JACK

It is usually said that before making a decision, you must think carefully. That, making a right choice seems rather hard than the easier one. But picking the choice you would choose again if faced with the same situation, knowing what the aftermath holds, is the best way to get through it. Then it doesn't matter whether the outcome was as expected or not. And if it molds out worse, don't without a thought, start regretting that decision when what you really abhor is the consequence you end up dealing with even if your choice got you something valuable.

*'*'*

4 years ago

"Mom, how is she?" I asked to my helpless mother looking after my incurably sick sister. She shook her head at me, unable to form proper words. The once lively family felt forlorn and the distance between me and my mother and my sisters were inevitably larger than I would've once liked. She was the same, my sister, no changes at all. It was because of her that I decided to make sure I was present in times of need because my father was gone for some unknown reason when we were mere kids and my mom had to make sure about having a shelter above our heads. Lucky for us, my maternal side of the family helped and soon she had a business of her own that flourished.

The house we lived in, however, had stopped feeling like home and the cream­­­-white walls where the frames of our whole family's picture hung seemed nothing less than fantasies. For days the kitchen would remain dirty until one of us would snap and clean it all but aside from taking care of Rena, no one had much activity to pass their day. Mom would sit beside Rena's bed for hours and fall asleep on her chair until either me or Addison would nudge her to go back to her room. But it was the norm for the Lennon family. And it couldn't change, for no one was in their right mind to understand what needed to be done.

But soon after, Addison re-joined school after much persuasion and I decided for myself to stay at home so that I could take care of Rena. Mom had her duties; I didn't want her to worry about her daughter being alone at the house. And I couldn't bring myself to hire any stranger to watch over her when I was capable of doing it myself. Of course her friends had offered as they would visit from time to time but none seemed fit when compared to me. It made me smile, even if in a bittersweet manner, thinking how these girls who were the same age as I felt so young to me.

As long as I could remember, I hated being the only brother of us three. We, Rena, Addison, and I were triplets. According to our mother, we three were enough to keep her occupied for having more children. It didn't stop me from always wanting another brother because I was often left alone when the other two would start playing without including me. And when they would, it'd always end up in both of them teaming up against me. Aside from the playing part, I was pretty much fine but as a kid it felt unfair to have two sisters and no brother. However, as I grew up, I got overly protective over them. We were quite attached already and they felt so fragile to me that I vowed to myself to protect them no matter the cost.

That vow, was put to test very soon. It made me wonder whether I was supposed to go to the lengths to make sure my sister lived and not cared about the price or was I supposed to sit and watch as she slowly faded away?

No. I couldn't let that happen. But what could I even do? Being a fourteen year old being home-schooled and without much social knowledge... it felt near impossible to even have a place in mind to start. I thought trying at the internet would help but all it got me was 'a place closest to your heart' stuff and frustration. Every second that I spent on it left me gloomier than before. Every ounce of hope that bubbled about 'finding' something got popped, harshly.

It had been almost two months now. And every path I took with determination to find something, something kept me back. Something clouded my mind and I hit a dead end which made me want to scream. Devastated to a point where I didn't even want to move, I walked over to where Rena laid watching the indigo blue and white walls she had her room painted with such excitement.