Chapter 4: Risks

AZURA

You can't take a step without knowing where to go. Actually, you can; but you shouldn't; because it's better to prepared for the hardships rather than be taken by surprise. Psychologically, whenever a situation springs up on you, your first option is to find escape. And being prepared gives you the advantage to face whatever is thrown at you and show it who the boss is. But contrary to it there are things that you can't prepare for, no matter how much you try. The best example is life itself. You never know when you can or cannot do something and whether you'd be given a chance. Your choices and decisions won't matter and neither your way of living. You could live your whole life as though treading on eggshells and still wouldn't know when one egg breaks and you fall; into oblivion or wonderland, you may never guess.

*'*'*

Lunch finally arrived. It was Monday and the Arch Angels, the three most popular girls' group, had called me for some favor and said to meet them at lunch. But it was Monday. Lunch arrived like a sloth. We all were tortured with assignments for the first half of the day. Only some of us had the energy to only hope that the next half would go well. It wasn't like that usually. But today, everyone was feeling it. Even the sun was getting on our nerves.

Like every dreading student, when I saw the time ten minutes later, the minute hand had only moved a centimeter. We were all, not only me but all of us, on the verge of tears when the bell finally rang. The sighs of relief were audible and kids rushed away not even bothering to hear the assignment anymore. They all went to the cafeteria for refreshments and food. However I could swear that the Angels didn't even run, as they were with me in the class, but were already seated on their usual table with a sophisticated posture before another body had even entered the place. I had no idea how they did it and I didn't really want to know but I was curious and my defensive suspicion had arisen.

Considering Addison Lennon—the lead Angel with a triangular shaped face, olive green eyes, and straight brown shoulder length hair—had personally asked me to meet her for something she had yet to say, I couldn't help but prepare a 'saying no' scheme. They weren't used to hearing it so I had to be careful about how I declined her. It wasn't that I wasn't ready to help. It was just that sometimes they would ask others to do something utterly foolish and I had to turn them down if they tried to do the same to me.

Feeling heated, I bought a cold soft drink from the vending machine when Candace Grahams and Brittney Davis, the blonde and redhead Angels came sauntering. Including Addison, they completed the 'Arch Angels'.

"Addi asks that you sit with us." Candace said folding her arms and patting her foot as Brittney rolled her eyes. I stopped mid-drink shocked, waiting for them to go so I could properly digest thee sudden request but they kept standing here. Were they going to be my escorts now? I stopped myself from spitting out my drink as I laughed internally. I raised my eyebrows at them, gesturing for them to go on as I'd join them soon, to which they let out a small groan and actually cat-walked their way back. I could bet that if nothing else worked out for them, they'd join a modeling industry.

When I finally reached the table, all three of them had their arms folded as they sat leaned back on the long bench attached to the table. I felt a bit intimidated by their stares, considering it was three against one. Besides, I wasn't always good at being under the spotlight.

Soon, I felt a presence by me and when I looked over, it was Rose who had come to my side. I shot her a grateful smile as she knew I wasn't fond of dealing with stuff alone, and given my past history, I didn't feel comfortable alone either. Rose, though, didn't like the girls. Didn't hate them but didn't really like them. And this was the first time the Angels had come to me so, it was unusual but normal, because it was only a matter of time they asked me considering I was on friendly terms with almost everyone in this school. Not that I was looking forward for the 'I need your favor' because like I said before, whenever they asked for favors, some would go horribly wrong. Not all, but some. And whatever this was, there was a high chance it would blow up as well.