Chapter 17: Hopeless Hope.

JACK

When everything spins out of control right when you knew you had it in your hands can be extremely discouraging, frustrating and vexing. Yes, there is the saying that you cannot control fate and some would say that they control their own fate, but there is this moment when you feel confident about getting back on track and in a blink of an eye, it slips away without even letting you process any second of it. It can be extremely infuriating, but keeping a level head at those situations can be the most suitable action however hard it seems.

*'*'*

"What are you, God?! How can you decide that?!" I screamed at the doctor's face as he declared that Azura was incurable, meaning she would either stay in a coma or die. There was nothing they could do. Or at least, that's what they said to us. I, on the other hand, didn't believe them and was not going to sit around while they gave up on her. I wasn't going to and I wouldn't let them as well.

"Let go of me! Are you crazy?!" The doctor squeaked because let's just say, his wind pipe had a little blocking pressure.

"How can you say that?! You didn't even try to help her!"

"What do you even know?! I did! She's out of our control right now! Let go of me!" The doctor jerked away from my grip as I was left feeling drained. Was there really nothing we could do?

Tears welled in my eyes as I rested my head on the wall against which I held up the doctor. I didn't want to give up. There was something we could do. There would be some way. There was always a way. But where could I find it?

*Two hours ago*

"Excuse me doctor, is there anything you could tell me more about Azura's condition?" I walked out of her room to catch up with the assigned doctor hoping to have some insight at what was going on.

Recently, in a state of unconsciousness her body was reacting differently as if she was having a bad dream. Her heart rate would increase and her body temperature would decrease. At this time, everyone was home except me, her mom, and Rose. The rest were forcefully sent because apparently, none of them wanted to leave and the doctor warned about the crowd in the room. It amazed me how each one of them were so attached to her that they were ready to spend the night cramming in one room just wishing to be close to Azura. When her mother got to know, she was devastated, I thought she would blame me even when I hadn't done anything, but she surprised me by thanking me.

"Thank you, my child, for getting her here as soon as you could." She had said and hugged me, clinging as if I was the only support she could feel like having at this moment. It broke my heart to watch her in this way but at the same time I felt happy to be some sort of comfort to her. But only I knew how the guilt was slowly ripping me apart from the inside.

It had been more than a week since the incident. I noticed the petite woman sitting beside the stretcher which held Azura. Shoulder length hair, worn out skin, she definitely didn't seem the working kind of woman. She felt more of a housewife; not to be judgmental, I promise. But if one had to make an assumption, it seemed as if she had been thrown to the working world.

It made my heart break.

Half—or more—of her hardships were because of that one stupid mistake I made because I was too stupid to see and realize the price for my wish. I knew that it could make one think that I was making excuses when there was no excuse for what I had done, but I would never, in my sane, sensible mind would want to take a life of another. It doesn't make the sin any less, I knew that but at the very least I knew I owe it to the Knight's family and maybe giving some sort of explanation for my choices and actions would keep me from giving up on life. My mind was twisted, I guess, but I wasn't a bad person. I didn't want to be the cause of hurt for others. I'd rather put myself first for them.