Chapter 3: Unusually Normal Afternoon

AZURA

Your life is never only your own. Your choices aren't either. If you actually think about it, every decision you make is through an influence. Be it from someone who asked for it, or for a person who means something to you; you never decide solely for your own-self. And in turn, the options dictating your choices impel someone else's. It's a never ending circle of life. The chapters differ but the story is one and the intertwining of different lives within the stories ensures that it's never about just you. It's about everyone you have a contact with which interweaves their story with yours. It is quite complex, but then again your story is never only your own.

*'*'*

"Ooh! Pink crop top, check. White knee length jeans, check. White sneakers, hmm, well I love you, so check." Rose had me standing in the hallway as we collected our books from the locker. She was my personal fashion police and I had to admit that being with her, my fashion sense had improved.

"Yup! I can take you shopping with me today!" Rose demanded as I groaned at her. I hated shopping. I just hated it. My clothes on the other hand, I liked them. Mom was always the one to shop for me, so I had my closet full. Rose, taking it as a privilege, always dragged me to shop with her saying that if I didn't experience it I wouldn't know what to do if I was on my own. She was right in a way but that didn't mean I wanted to do it. I liked to think that I'd have to hire an assistant for this. But I didn't want anyone to go through the horror of shopping. Maybe I'd hire Rose instead. At least she'd enjoy her job.

"Oh you know about that upcoming dinner, right? I'm going to have so much fun dressing up!" I chuckled at Rose's enthusiasm and her springy steps as she walked away to her class. Her family owned a business corporation so they always had a generous amount of money. To Rose's luck, they held monthly dinners and the fancy parties she loved. She made sure she had a new dress for every occasion and unfortunately for me, she never shopped alone. And being from a family that had a demanding stature, as well as being the eldest and only child, Rose always had to have her way and her happiness was worth it all.

But more than that I owed it to her. She had always been there for me when I lost myself. She was the one who helped me find who I was and how much more I could be. And for that, I was always going to be in her debt, but this wasn't only an obligation to repay favor. I wholeheartedly wanted to see her happy and do whatever I could to keep her that way. She was my first priority after family. Even when I had other friends and best friends, Rose was someone I believed would stay with me forever. I had enough faith in our friendship to know that we'd go through countless difficult things and still be as close as ever.

It didn't come so easily though. Two years ago, I was bullied for details too grim to remember but also because of my weight, my braces, my freckles and even my name. I hated it. I hated my name because of it. I despised who I was which was why I started my routines. Morning jog was a must but food had become my enemy. My appetite was nonexistent and even when I tried to eat, I wouldn't digest it. Anorexia was my companion those days and I was so blinded by trying to perfect myself, I put it above all the things I already had.

I worked myself to such an extent that I had to be hospitalized. It wasn't pretty to say the least. The condition was likely to leave me in a grave. Doctors said that my blood wasn't made properly and it resulted in my sinus problem peaking. It was too hard for me to breathe and for a long time I was inches from my death.

Rose was the one who looked after me day and night. She stepped up to be there for me after school, before school and even in her free periods. She would come visit me the moment she was free and stay until they had to drag her out. She had my mother go back home for some proper rest as she had earned the trust to take care of me on her own. And during the nights she stayed, she would talk to me until her words would actually sink in and I would get in my senses.