Chase

Ryleigh
We ended up at an IHOP. The waitress seated us in a back booth, somewhat secluded. She brought a high chair for Jasey. We sat Jasey in it and she grew fussy so Zack held her. I ordered an orange juice and chocolate chip pancakes topped with whipped cream and chocolate chips. Zack ordered pancakes with blueberries, eggs, and bacon.
We talked quietly and, for once, there wasn't an awkward silence.

**********

Mom and Dad were up when I got home. Maddie was walking on her shaky toddler legs to her toy box when we went inside. I sent Zack and Jasey up to my room. "Hey, can we talk?"I asked. Dad looked at me, worry and concern growing in his eyes. "What's wrong?"Mom asked, sitting up and muting the TV. "I think I'm ready to move,"I said. Dad's brow furrowed. "So soon? You loved your apartment,"he said. "Yeah, but the break in kind of scared me,"I said, not quite ready to drop the bomb in case they hated me.

"You'll always have a place here,"Mom promised. Tears welled in my eyes at their kindness. I couldn't have received better parents. "That's the thing. Zack---"I said, breaking off. "Zack what? Did he hurt you? Get you pregnant again? I'll kick his ass!"Dad said. "No, dad, I'm not pregnant and he didn't hurt me. He wants me to move in with him and I think that's best for Jasey. I mean she's happy with us, sure, but she practically glows with Zack here, too,"I said.

"What about what's best for you?"he asked. I shrugged. "Maybe it's the best for me. I can give it a try nonetheless. If nothing else then I always have a place here, right?"I said. "Of course, baby,"Mom said and stood to kiss my forehead.

I hugged them both before heading slowly up the stairs. It's going to be weird not being around them every day. I hope that I'm making the right choice. "So, what happened?"Zack asked as I sat on my bed and took my daughter from him. "You'll have to let me know when we start packing,"I said. He kissed my lips gently. 

*******

The following day, we went to my apartment early. I didn't have too many belongings. Dad took my couch and put it in the studio. We decided to leave the bed but take Jasey's crib, changing table, and other belongings. My things went in boxes, clothes in suitcases. Once I was sure I had it all, we took it to dad's house. We fly out tomorrow morning on a private jet that Pete called in a favor to get. I wanted to give Jasey, Dad, Maddie, and Mom some time so Zack and I went up to this little park. I thought back on times I've had here. Zack brought his skateboard since I've been wanting to learn. We sat on a little bench.

"What're you thinking about?"he asked. "A lot of things,"I said. "Like what?"he asked. "Some things should stay in the past, left alone,"I said, turning away. Zack turned my head towards his, pulling me into a gentle kiss. I smiled as we pulled away. "Tag, you're it!"I said and took off at a sprint. He left his skateboard sit and chased after me. "No fair!"he shouted as he chased after me. I darted around a tree. The grass was still damp from the small rain shower we had earlier in the day. He almost grabbed me.

I watched as he lost his balance. I figured he would regain it so I continued running before heading an audible 'oof!'. I looked over my shoulder in time to see Zack on the ground. He must've slid on the mini hill. I stopped. "Are you okay?"I called out as I took a few steps closer. He gave me two thumbs up and I heard his laughter. I couldn't help but laugh with him.

"Time-out!"I said to him before I walked closer and held a hand down to help him up, pulling him into a small hug. "I got you! You're it!"he yelled, breaking away from the hug and running up the hill. I darted after him. After a bit, I bent over and pretended to be out of breath. He glanced back. "Are you okay?"he asked, coming closer to me.

I looked up and touched his hand. "Just fine cause now you're it!"I said and started running. "Not funny!"he said. He sprinted after me and lifted me from behind, hugging me and spinning in a circle before putting me down. I laughed and pulled him in for a kiss.

I found a large tree and started climbing. "Ryleigh, what are you doing?"he yelled. "Climbing!"I yelled back with 'duh' tone. I heard him sigh and climb after me. Satisfied with the height, I sat on the branch. Heights made me feel alive and I loved it. Zack sat next to me. I loved the city lights from here. "You know what we should do?"he asked. "Hm?"I hummed and glanced at him. He pulled a pocket knife out of his pocket. "Let's carve our initial into the tree,"he said.

He carved a heart and added R+Z. I smiled and kissed him softly before swinging myself down. I watched Zack skate, even attempting to skate with Zack holding my hips. My skin buzzed with electricity every time his fingers caught a piece of my bare skin. I eventually got tired. He followed me and we started our walk back home. Jasey was asleep next to a sleeping Maddie in between Mom and Dad. I took Jasey upstairs before going to shower. When I was changed, I climbed under the covers. Zack was already asleep next to Jasey. I laid awake for awhile, wondering about my decision. I hoped this wasn't too soon and, for Jasey's sake, that we could work things out.