Cold Night

Ryleigh
I woke up in Dad's lap on the couch. Christmas was in two days. The guilt was weighing on my chest. He looked down at me sadly. "Are you doing okay?"He asked. I shrugged and struggled to get off his lap. I walked up to my room where I buried myself under my covers and cried some more. I should be left alone. That's all I wanted and deserved. It was my fault. I left him alone.

Bailey jumped onto the bed and nuzzled my ear. Someone came in and sat on the edge of my bed. "Go away!"I growled. "No, Ryleigh, you can't do this to yourself. I won't let you,"Emily said. I rolled over to look at her. She stood up and walked around. She pulled me into her arms and I felt myself starting to cry again. I didn't deserve her kindness. "You can't blame yourself for this. He knew what he was doing,"she whispered.

Sometime later, Emily left and Josh took her place at my side. He pulled me into his lap, stroked my hair and turned the Princess Bride on my TV. Tyler came to join us. Bailey lay against my leg, my hand limply stroking her. Mom and Dad left to go shopping and bring back takeout. Jenna took care of Maddie while Tyler and Josh took care of me. I cried softly and silently, usually ending in Josh or Tyler pulling me closer to them. I stayed snuggled into Josh's shoulder when Tyler went to help Jenna with Maddie.

Josh stroked my hair. "I'm sorry,"I mumbled. "Leigh, don't apologize. None of this is your fault. If you ever feel like that please come to me. I'm your brother I'm here every second of the day, every day of the week,"Josh said and kissed my forehead. I nodded and continued watching the movie. Tyler came back and laid down on my other side. Mom and Dad came back. Mom went to talk to Jenna and see Maddie. Dad was rummaging in the kitchen, I could hear him.

He came upstairs, carrying plates with pizza. My water bottle sat half full on my nightstand. He handed me a plate with pizza and kissed my forehead before walking back downstairs. I stared at the pizza in disgust and tried to push it away. "No, Ryleigh. You need to eat,"Josh said firmly. I shook my head no. "What about the baby? Are you going to kill it too?"He asked. I crossed my arms over my chest. "One slice, that's all we ask,"Tyler tried to plead.

"Fine,"I croaked, my voice dry and raspy from not speaking. I somehow managed to swallow the pizza and fell asleep with my head on Josh's shoulder. When I woke up, Tyler was gone but Josh was still next to me on his phone. "Hey,"Josh said and ruffled my hair. I shrugged. "How about we wrap some Christmas presents?"Josh asked. I looked up at him with an 'are you serious?' look. "Ryleigh, you have a day. I'll help you,"he tried to compromise. I sighed and sat up, leaning against my headboard.

I ran my hands over my tiny, barely noticeable bump. There was a human inside of me. The thought made me smile. I noticed Josh watching me with a smile. "Have you decided what you're gonna do?"He asked. I nodded and he raised an eyebrow. "I'm keeping it,"I said. He smiled, his eyes crinkling at the edges. "You're gonna make a great mother,"Josh said. I smiled back as he loaded bags of presents and wrapping paper onto my bed.

**********

We didn't stop wrapping until midnight. Josh brought food upstairs for us and took presents down. Everyone was coming over early. "You want me to stay?"Josh asked after he took the last bit of presents down. I shrugged. He flopped onto my bed. "I'm gonna shower quick,"I said and grabbed clothes. I locked my bathroom door and turned the shower on. I knew the funeral would be coming up.

I took a shower so hot my skin was red and the mirror was steamed. I cried for awhile. A knock on the door startled me. "Ryleigh, you okay in there? It's been an hour,"Josh asked softly through the door. I nodded, realizing he couldn't see me, and found my voice. "Yeah,"I said, trying to not let him know I was crying.

As soon as I had on sweatpants and a t-shirt, I unlocked the door. Josh opened it and pulled me into his arms. I sniffled and he let go after a few minutes. I walked over to my bed. Josh turned the TV on and we watched The Incredibles till we fell asleep.

"Ryleigh! Ryleigh! Wake up! It's Christmas!"children's voices blended together. I felt my bed bouncing up and down and squinted my eyes open. Bandit was standing next to me, trying to shake me awake while Bronx and Saint were jumping on the bed. Pete stood in the doorway. "I'm up! I'm up!"I said and glanced at the time on my phone.

It was a little after 9. Josh must've already went downstairs. Josh had the creative idea to copy the photo of my first ultrasound. We hid one in each package for the adults. The only ones who knew were Dallon, Tyler, Josh, Mom, and Dad.

It shocked me to see a text from Zack. I hadn't heard from him since the wedding.

Zack Merrick: Hey. Merry Christmas!

I decided not to reply for awhile and got out of bed. I found a seat on the couch. There were so many people in our living room. The Ways, the Ieros, the Toros, the Trohmans, the Wentz family, the Weekes, the Stumps, the Josephs, Josh and Debby, Mike, Dan and Maya, Nicole, and my half siblings.

We sorted out presents among the scattered children and adults. I had a few texts coming from Emily, Sam, and Melissa. I would answer those later. It was great watching everyone open their presents. "When you open my presents, there's an extra surprise hidden,"I said. They all began searching their presents.