Misery

Oli
I didn't stray far away. I knew it was dangerous to stay but I was afraid that he'd leave with her. We've been looking for a month and she's been under our noses the whole damn time. It was a quiet subdivision and though the house was wore down, it didn't seem like any bad could happen there. I woke up around four in the morning. I checked the time on my phone and saw a few police cars making their way up the street towards me.

Sirens and lights off, I flashed my headlights to get their attention. I stepped out with my hands raised, hoping they wouldn't shoot. A car pulled up and the window rolled down. "May I help you?"the officer asked. "I'm the one who called in. I'm Oliver Sykes. The house is just over there,"I said and pointed to the house. The sun was just beginning to rise. The house was oddly still and silent as the officers parked and cautiously made their way to the door with me hot on their heels.

They kicked the door in. A man approached. "What do you think you're doing breaking into my house?"he asked. "We have belief that you're keeping a teen girl here,"an officer said. He went to make a run for it. One of the officers tackled him to the ground and cuffed him before leading him out to one of the cars. We looked all over the house with no sign of her. Finally, I made my way to the last door. It led to the basement. "Can I get a flashlight over here?"I asked. A few officers joined me as we cautiously pulled the door open. They shone a flashlight around until a groggy pair of eyes were suddenly staring up at us. She was all skin and bone. The eyes looked dead, no emotion in them. We found her, only I wasn't sure if we were actually in enough time.

Ryleigh
I woke up to noise upstairs. There was yelling and a thump. I wasn't sure what was happening but I was terrified out of my mind. Was this finally going to be the end? I just wanted out of this misery. I was too tired, weak, and afraid to call out. I stayed curled into a ball in the corner. Suddenly, the door to the basement was pulled open. A flashlight's beam was shone around the basement before it landed on me. I groggily looked up at it.

"Oh shit!"someone yelled. "That's her!"someone else yelled. I started to shake and tried to curl tighter in on myself. Someone was running down the stairs toward me. ""Sir, wait!"someone yelled after them. I was terrified it was my rapist, coming to kill me once and for all.

Suddenly, I was being scooped up into someone's arms with care and love. I smelled a familiar cologne on the jacket. Oli. He did it. He found me. I leaned my head against his shoulder and closed my eyes. "Oh, Ryleigh. I'm sorry it took me so long. What the hell did he do?"Oli whispered to me as he carried me up the stairs. A few officers took our place and began photographing the basement. Oli laid me on the couch. He sent officers out to his car where he had extra hoodies, clothes, and blankets.

I couldn't stand without falling. The dizziness was almost too much to take. The officers returned. Oli started to remove the ducktape and my filthy clothes. I was too tired to care anymore. I had no strength left. "Guys, we found a bloody towel!"someone yelled. My eyes popped open in embarrassment as officers crowded me. "Where are you hurt?"one asked. The only place I hurt was mentally and emotionally. I was so drained but I didn't tell them that.

"He....physically I'm not hurt. Shark week, ya know? It's all I could find,"I said awkwardly and shut my eyes again. A woman officer went out and returned with a pad. "We've called a chopper. She's been here for a month, at least. She doesn't look too good, she needs to be seen by a doctor,"an officer mumbled to Oli. He nodded and continued to dress me in silence. His hoodie was comforting and he wrapped me in blankets before sitting me back on his lap and stroking my hair. It was soothing and I felt myself dozing before another bright light was flashed through the windows with a ton of noise. "Chopper's here!"someone yelled and then we were running outside.

I was handed to someone else who laid me on a bed. "Oli! Where's Oli?"I cried and screamed. "He's right here, honey,"someone said as they helped him to get in beside me. I calmed some as he stroked my hair. We took off and let me tell you firsthand that flying in a helicopter it's nothing like a plane or a jet. Planes and jets are smooth bullets. A helicopter resembles a hockey puck tossed around every which direction. It made it impossible to sleep. Exhaustion was wearing me down. I knew this month would be haunting me for years to come.

Oli held my hand and rubbed circles into the back of my thumb. They wasted no time getting me off when we landed on the roof of the hospital. I refused to let go of Oli. Deciding I'd been through enough, they let him stay with me. It wasn't long after our arrival that Tyler and Josh came running through the entrance to the emergency room. "Tyjo! Jishwa!"I cried out hoarsely. They ran to my side in an instant. Though a nurse sent us a dirty look, they stayed alongside Oli and I. I was poked and prodded. They ran tests and decided to keep me overnight, depending on test results maybe a few days, for observation.

I had lost close to 50 pounds. I weighed 60 pounds right now. My ribs were bruised and they were pretty sure I had a mild concussion. I had to be interviewed by the police once they finished investigating the house. I was moved to a more private room with the lights dimmed down. "Where's Dad?"I croaked out, my voice raspy and hoarse from disuse and neglect. Tyler and Josh slid their chairs closer. Tyler grabbed my hand. "He's on his way. He was halfway to Sheffield by the time that you were flown here. Get some rest,"Tyler said and kissed my forehead.