Circles

Ryleigh
I'd never experienced a pain like this. They tell me everyday I'm lucky to be alive. Zack has never left. It would be hard to admit but when he kissed me, even though it was short, my heart fluttered in happiness. I was so relieved to see my daughter, too. She seemed extra happy with Zack being in her life now too. I'm still worried how this will end. It can end badly for both of us if we aren't careful.

***********

I was released eleven days later with strict instructions. I wasn't even close to being fully healed. It can take at least a month. Zack has decided to stay with me to help with Jasey while I recover. The guys would Skype him when it came time to work on music or something. I carefully dressed myself with Mom's help before they rolled me downstairs to discharge. Kala flew out to take care of Bailey when I first got hurt. I needed and missed my puppy.

On the bus, Zack and I had the back lounge to ourselves. Bailey sat at my feet. We were taking Jack, Rian, and Alex to the airport. Nicole and Mike had Jasey. "Can we talk?"Zack asked softly as his sad hazel eyes met mine. "Sure, I guess,"I replied, not sure where this was going.

"I wanted to know where we stand. God, when I heard your scream....I didn't know what happened,"he said, tearing up. "I ran harder than before. I wasn't sure if you were dead or alive as I found your crumpled body coated in blood,"he added. "I love you, Ryleigh. I love our daughter. I don't want to lose you because I don't think I can ever live without you,"he finished, looking down.

"You didn't lose me and you won't,"I whispered, studying him carefully. His long eyelashes, his cheekbones, and those soft lips I never got enough of. I hated myself. I hated myself for feeling this way about him. I hated how I can't stay mad even when I'm infuriated. "What now?"he asked. "What now?"I repeated, meeting his eyes. When neither of us spoke for a few minutes, I spoke up.

"We go on. We continue our lives. We'll work something out for you to be in Jasey's life. You have your band and when I get better I intend to start my own,"I said. "No, Ryleigh. I love you. I don't want anyone else. I want you,"he said softly. "No, you don't. There has to be someone else out there. Someone who is prettier and better than me. There was that time you went with that woman. How can I trust you won't do that again? That heartbreak will kill me,"I replied, tears in my own eyes.

"But I do. I'm different now. I won't do it again. You're the only one for me. Don't I deserve a second chance, for Jasey's sake,"he said. I moved a piece of hair behind my hair. "Zack, seasons may change but people don't. I have no way to believe you and if the guys told me it would cause a rift between you. I can't cause that. There's too much at stake,"I said.

"People can change. Ask the guys. I haven't had a one night stand in ten almost eleven months. I want to take that risk. I'd give it all up if it meant I could have you and Jasey,"he said. My tears started falling. "Please don't cry,"he said, pulling me to his side and kissing my forehead.

"Okay,"I sniffled. "Okay as in I get a second chance?"he asked. I nodded lightly. He leaned in and kissed me softly. It lasted a few minutes and I felt myself laying down. I pushed on his shoulder, breaking our kiss and carefully sitting up. "Can we take it slow?"I asked. "Of course, whatever you want,"he said and we settled on the couch while he picked a movie before grabbing our daughter and we watched several episodes of Walker Texas Ranger.

***********

The pop up tour ended as quick as it began. Zack kept his promise. I was as good as new but he didn't want to leave. Jasey was almost 7 months old. Maddie was over a year old. She was teething, walking a little with help from one of us and spoke simple words. I knew I should get my own place. While Jasey napped, I often took a baby monitor and snuck outside with a notebook and a pen.

I had so many things I wanted to say. People may not like it but I wanted to give it a try. I had dozens of songs written so I finally decided to tell Dad. He helped me find music and record it. Pete signed me to DCD2. I'd switch between guitar and bass on stage with backing tracks. I released my record and went on my own mini tour. Jasey and Zack came with me.

Something had changed in me. I was no longer the tiny scared little girl. I had grown. I had a new confidence. People loved my music. It started as a secret project. I didn't want all of Dad's fans following me just because of him. It grew quickly. I started selling out the tiny venues.

I met with my fans. So many I saw myself in. So many told me how I saved their life, gave them hope, or inspired them. Josh and my siblings were very supportive. All of our band family and friends took turns coming out. I even sang a cover of Take On The World with Josh from YMAS.

With each show, though, I couldn't help but wait for something to go wrong and have it crash down around me. I knew Dad would support me no matter what but I knew that now that I had some money, I should get my own place. It wouldn't be easy especially if Zack is gone and I'm a single mother for weeks and months at a time but I knew I would have support.

Most nights, the adrenaline kept me awake for hours so I would start researching places to live. I found one I liked so far. It had a large window with an open view of the city. It was within walking distance of mom and dad. I would talk to them about it when I got home in two weeks.