Patrol Talks

Dick's P.O.V.

I was looking for Kayla. In be last four months she's willingly given up all the information on everything she knew about the compound and everything else expect Midnight's real name. I still don't know why she insists on keeping that one secret. I don't know if she has contact with Midnight or not, I hope not. Kayla's a good kid. 7 years old yes, but a good kid. She was raised by the League like Damian, but managed to turn out decant. She spends a lot of time with Barbra, and is actually learning a great deal about computers. She could learn just as well from Tim, but whatever.

I've been staying away from the cave for a while, I don't like lying to my friends, and that trip to the beach proved, interesting. I thought it could have been Midnight, but that girl was far too scared around strangers, even for a 6 year old. That lead didn't turn up anything but it still stuck in the back of my mind.

I was looking for Kayla now, she said she'd go on patrol with us tomorrow but I was gonna ask her if she'd change her mind and go tonight instead. I was heading back to Bludhaven after tonight and I wanted to see her.

Kayla has become a sister the way Barbra is, the way that the boys - as much trouble as they are - have become my brothers. I haven't really seen her in the thick of it, not without Midnight at her side.

"Kayla?!" She wasn't in the gym, outside, or the Batcave, only 7/8 of the mansion left to look. But she's probably in her room, or with Babs. Coming off the stairs I call her again. I hear something muted through her door and knock.

She pulls it open just enough for us to look at each other. I stand back so we're not looking at odd angles.

Kayla, "What's up?"

Dick, "Tim told me you were planning on going on patrol with them tomorrow." She stood there waiting. No pleasantries I guess, "I'm going back tomorrow, I was wondering if you'd go with us tonight, Bruce'll have all of us out together, it'll be nice to have everybody."

She paused for a moment, "But we won't have everybody, Midnight and Blurr and still hiding. Without Midnight, Darkness doesn't come. I'm going tomorrow because Damian will be with the Titans. Tim will be with your kiddy league, and Barbra will be working late at the precinct. It'll just be me and Dad. You were a wild card I wasn't going to ask about, but now that I know you're heading back to Bludhaven I know I'll be alone."

I was only slightly taken back by her words, I'm not sure what I expected. She didn't like me, but she didn't hate me that much either not like Jason or Damian. "Why are you avoiding everyone?" it was innocent, I wasn't working to aggravation just understanding.

"I know you've seen it Dick. Dad's gone off again. I've seen the tapes from after you left, and Jason died, and I saw him while She was off-world. He's being hard on all of you. Unnecessarily. You're taking it better because you've delt with it. Jason doesn't care as usual. But Tim, Barbra and Damian all feel it. He won't tell you, she'll just say it's what he does, but I'll tell you it's wrong. As much as Batman works for justice for this city, he needs that same justice in his own family."

"You're right, I have delt with him like this before. And I know what justice you're talking about. Help me get that justice for him. Help me find Midnight."

She laughed, "You still don't get it do you?" She stepped out of her room securing the door behind her. "You still think that Midnight did that." She took a deep breath and calmly started again. "Dick, have you ever been under someone elses control? Unable to make your own decisions? Incapable of thinking for yourself?" She was only a step away from me and looking almost straight up. "My sister isn't capable of doing what's on that flash drive. I was watching her when she looked over it. She was just as horrified as you are." Another deep breath, a step back and a moment to calm down. "As long as you hunt her, you will not be my brother Richard."

With the last dead sentence she turned, went in her room and shut the door calm-as-you-please behind her.

So much for making things better. I first person I was was Alfred in the kitchen 'With the butter knife' I laughed in my head at my humorless joke, "Hey Al!"

"I'm quite aware of you're presence Master Grayson. Is there something I can assist you with?" he doesn't pause for a moment in his cookie making.

Is everyone just in a bad mood today? "Tell Bruce I heading back now, I won't be with him tonight."

"Why the early departure? I thought you had planned to 'get everyone out together' for a long night of family bonding and whatnot."

"Yeah," I sighed, "That was the plan, but the plan didn't survive first contact with the allies." He didn't understand it, I didn't expect him to. "Just let him know I won't be there tonight. Thanks Al."

I walk out to his, "As always Mr. Grayson, it's a pleasure to have you around."

Kayla's P.O.V.

I collapse on my bed.

As long as Dick has tried to pretend to be my friend, this is the first time he's asked me to help him. With anything, let along hunting my you like an animal. I still try to contact you, I dont' know if you're getting it. This video log is the only thing left that I can think of. I hope someday Karra, you can see this and know how much you're missed here. I'm still gonna try to do patrol tomorrow, I'm not sure how it's going to turn out. Maybe I'll get to talk with Dad about everything, but it's patrol. We could suddnaly have Joker kidnapping half the precinct and hanging them over a parana pit demanding for 3 hyneas and a farari.

I laugh, but there's something not too unsimmilar that happened a few weeks ago.

I guess there's nothing more for me to say. So, Karra, if you're getting this before I'm dead, please come back. I know Damian will fight on your side to keep Dick away. And you know I always have your back.

I love you Karra, forever and for always.

~~

Yeah, that. so. um.

It's currentally 1 AM and I need to be sleeping, but somebody decided that they liked my garbage so here you go. The 1 AM I need to sleep but had some mild idea that I wrote chapter. There's not going  to be a lot more, mostly chapters like this where it's just wrapping up loose ends. YEAH!!!

Stay Whelmed :)